Would it be too much trauma on the face if I had halo hybrid laser, a neck lift and a deep plane facelift at the same time?

I'm considering having a deep plane face lift, neck lift and halo hybrid laser at the same time. I have fine lines above my lips and very large pores on my chin. My first concern is that it may not be in my best interest to do them all together, the second is I'm afraid that if I do only this area that I will have discoloration where the laser was done, because of this I'm considering having the whole face done. (One PS said my skin may lighten the other said no) Any thoughts or advise?

Halo hybrid laser, a neck lift and a deep plane facelift at the same time

It is definitely possible to combine these procedures. However, you will require an in person consult with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options.

Combination Treatments with the Halo

It is defiantly possible to have these procedures performed at the same time.  There really isn't much downtime with the Halo, so it can be done before or after surgery and not cost you extra time off.  This is really up to you and the providers comfort level. 

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combined Procedures

It is safe to combine the procedures you described.  If you have residual concerns, it is reasonable to ask your surgeon to address your concerns. Best wishes.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Skin Resurfacing, Deep Plane Facelift, and Neck Lift in One Procedure

The Sciton Halo hybrid laser can be varied in its energy and penetrance so that areas of the skin that are most traumatized by the surgery can be treated more lightly than areas that are less affected by the surgery. For example, the upper lip and chin area, which is the area you are most interested in being treated by the laser, can be treated with a slightly higher energy and penetrance. Whereas in the cheeks, where most of the deep plane dissection takes place, can be treated with lesser penetrance and energy. There are advantages in doing multiple procedures in one surgery. Namely, you only have one down time as opposed to multiple down times. However, if you have potential co-morbities such as diabetes, older age, obesity, or other pre-existing medical problems, I would refrain from multiple procedures.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Laser question

Thank you for your question!  The wonderful feature of the laser is that it really can be done at any time before or after surgery.  In other words, it is not necessary to perform both the facelift and laser at the same time.  I generally would not recommend having these procedures together, so as not to affect the healing of the facelift.  As has already been mentioned, there are many cosmetic surgeons who do these simultaneously with wonderful results. 

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple facial procedures

In our practice,  we do not recommend laser procedures done at the same time as a facelift. In addition a neck lift is a component of our comprehensive lower face and neck lift and not a separate procedure.

Multiple procedures

Typically I advise against doing laser treatments over areas of the face that have been operated on. Others seem to have no trouble doing this. I am a bit conservative in this matter. I do think that treating the premolar region, or any other region that was not transected is safe to do at the time of the operation. This allows the area to heal while the rest of the face is also healing. The discoloration question depends on your skin type.

Best of Luck

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
Bethesda MD/McLean VA
301.493.4334/703.506.0683

Separate procedures

I would recommend you separate the procedures.  A neck lift and deep plane facelift will involve some dissection under the skin that will extend into the cheek area.  If you are going to laser adequately, you need to have some penetration into the dermis for a long lasting result.  This would be additional trauma to the skin flaps that may put your healing at risk.  If you were only going to treat the perioral area, then this would be fine.  However, I agree with your concern regarding hypopigmentation depending on your skin type so a staged, full face treatment would be a better approach. 

Planning a face and neck lift with laser

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift with laser.

It is definitely possible to have both the facial surgery and the laser at the same time.
  • If you have severe skin damage, you may need a second laser later on.
  • A laser done with a face lift needs to be done lightly over the area of surgery.
  • It is wise to do the whole face - doing laser by areas may leave skin color differences between treated and untreated areas.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Laser resurfacing and facelifts

My most common facial surgery is a facelift, fat grafting and full laser resurfacing. It is safe to laser at the same time as a facelift - (deep plane or otherwise) as  long as the cheek area which is undermined during the procedure is not lasered too deeply.

I love the Sciton Halo laser and in fact we helped develop this technology. It is a great laser but not the best for upper lip lines - in that case I prefer the Sciton TRL or full field laser. For pores I might do a combination of these technologies. These newer lasers do not cause hypopigmentation but the skin may appear lighter with the removal of some of the sun damage.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon