How much more will I "settle" after a month? What is realistic to expect? (Photo)

34 yo, s/p breast aug silicone, periareola, submuscular. 5'7" 135lbs. Prior to sx right breast was smaller than left. 450cc left and 500cc right. From the beginning the right breast has been higher, and the muscle is tighter. Will the right breast "catch up" to the left breast with time as the muscle relaxes or is this more due to placement of the implant and is likely permanent? Overall I'm happy, just not sure if continues massage would be beneficial. I go back to my surgeon for a recheck soon

Settling post aug

You are only a month.I would wear a breast strap across the top of my breasts with more pressure on the right to get it to settle.It should go down.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry, time, and patience.

Breast asymmetry correction is not easy and it takes time to allow the breasts to settle. One month may seem like a long time, but in terms of healing it is quite short. A minimum of three months (and sometimes up to 6-9 months) is required to allow for each breast to accomodate the implant. Give it time, follow the postoperative instructions, and be patient. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Too early

Its too early to know for sure. Give it three more months and see where you are then. If there is still size difference at that time it might be appropriate to consider revision at that time. Good luck and be well.

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

How much more will I "settle" after a month? What is realistic to expect?

Would like to see before photos. But appears the right though riding high is still smaller by another 50 cc's in my over the internet opinion. Also if not dropping into lower position than at 3 months I would revise the inferior pocket on the right plus either enlarge the plant or use fat grafting to correct volume asymmetry... 

Large implants can take a while to settle

At first, the implant is smashed by the tight skin and chest muscle, making it look higher than it really is. Over time it relaxes, but exactly how much time that takes depends on the implant size, the tightness of the skin, the strength of the muscle, and the surface of the implant (smooth implants settle more than textured).  

It is very common for implants to settle at different rates, especially when they are different sizes. Since the bottoms of the implants are even, I suspect everything will even out in the end.  I think you have to give yourself a good 3 months to settle before you start worrying about asymmetry. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but do not obsess. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Settling of Implants

The rate of settling depends on several factors; the tightness of your skin envelope, the size of your frame and the size and type of implant.  In general, implants will look pretty good at 6 weeks.  However, a very large implant in a smaller frame can take much longer.  Implants will settle and soften for a year.  Talk to your PS.

One month post op

Thanks for your question.  Based on your photos and history, it appears like you had fairly tight breast tissue and that the implants placed were likely at the upper size limit for your tissue.  As such, it will take a while for you to fully stretch and drop.  It may take several months fro your final appearance to be reached.  As you have an appointment with your surgeon soon, I believe he/she can give you the best advice.  Good luck.