Should I consider revision rhinoplasty? Saddle nose or open roof deformity? (Photos)

I am 3 weeks post op from septoplasty/rhinoplasty where my jump was removed. I am really concerned with my profile view and the "flat" surface on my dorsal. Will the appearance improve over time?

Not just an open roof....

indeed, your dorsum has been over-resected and any infracture (if you had one) hasn't closed your open roof.....but just as compelling is the lowering of your radix well below anatomical position.... this can be fixed with a combination of structural and onlay grafting

good luck...

Open roof

I would agree with your observation of an over resected bridge, wide upper 1/3 with a likely open roof defect. Although you are still very early after surgery, these particular issues are not going to improve. In fact they could only get worse. Best to seek an in person consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for consideration of a revision. Best of luck to you!

Should I consider revision rhinoplasty? Saddle nose or open roof deformity?

Only a complete physical exam will render the best opportunity to answer your question. However, it does appear from your photos that your observations are accurate. Your dorsal aesthetic line both frontal and profile would benefit from improvement. It also appears that you may have the open roof that you describe. Also, you tip will benefit from additional refinement. The best time to achieve the best result- s with the initial operation. Although challenging- in the right hands- you may expect significant improvement .There is no point in waiting, in my opinion.

Nasal dorsum

Yhank you for your question. To me, based on the pictures, the dorsum of the nose appears to have been over-resected and the open roof was not closed. My advice is to go back to your surgeon and see if you need to have the open roof closed and the dorsum augmented a little bit. If you were my patient, I would want to take care of the problem ASAP, unless there are other issues that might make going back to the OR at this point a bad idea.

Hang in there. Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and healing

This will very likely improve. It is impossible to answer the question with confidence without knowing exactly what was done, but you are very early in the post operative period. 

Most surgeons agree that after a rhinoplasty the healing process takes at least 1 year and likely more. Those of us who have followed patients over many years have appreciated that. This is why it is rare to perform a revision rhinoplasty prior to the 1 year mark of the date of surgery. I ask all my patients to contact me ASAP with any concerns so we can address questions properly. Contact your surgeon and get the opinion.

When the swelling goes down patients often appreciate a much sharper and defined dorsum.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon