Can I do Monalisa Touch after Ovarian Cancer?

I had a hysterectomy/BSO, IV and IP chemo. Experiencing vaginal atrophy, can't take hormones but on a small dose of Premarin which helps just a bit. Wondering if I would be a good candidate. Thank you!

MonaLisa Touch after Ovarian Cancer

Being hesitant about treatments is certainly understandable after your past history. If you're experiencing vaginal atrophy and worried about hormone treatments, MonaLisa Touch is the perfect treatment option for you due to its minimal risk factors. There are a few small risks such as minor discomfort, that are present and can be discussed with a MonaLisa Touch provider when confirming your whole medical history. 

If you did have prior pelvic radiation, make sure you notify your treating provider so they can discuss contraindications with you.

MonaLisa Touch (MLT) after ovarian cancer

Ovarian cancer is not a reason to not have the MLT treatments. If you are suffering from vaginal atrophy, MLT should be an excellent solution. 

Experiencing vaginal atrophy after ovarian cancer treatment

You are the perfect candidate for the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser because it is a non-hormone based approach to repairing dry, thin vaginal tissue bought on by the effects of menopause.  In your case ovarian removal has most likely accelerated the aging of the vagina.  Premarin and other low dose vaginal estrogen preparations can be helpful, but many women don't want to use hormones in the face of a previous history of cancer.  In the case of ovarian cancer it may be perfectly safe to use low dose vaginal estrogens, but that is a discussion between you and your oncologist depending on your family history, genetics, etc.

Can I use FemiLift or Mona Lisa after ovarian cancer? After breast cancer?

Most importantly, I wish you well in your battle for health. Yes, FemiLift or Mona Lisa Touch would be ideal for re-establishing vaginal stretchability & tone. It is perfect as well for breast Ca survivors.I agree with your "preparing" your vagina with low dose estrogen (**NOTE: systemic estrogen in not contraindicated in ovarian cancer survivors, unless you had a concomitant estrogen-dependant breast Ca.) Either way, a small dose of intravaginal estrogen will help-- 1/2 gram 3X/week

Best wishes. Educational info on pixillated fractional CO2 laser therapy is linked below

Michael P GoodmanMD

MLT after Ovarian Cancer?

I like the previous answers. There is no reason that ESTRING wouldn't be a cheaper alternative first, BUT it will not help introitus or labial tightness (ever have a vaginal birth?). You might need estrogen locally first  to have MLT probe inserted, but labia can also be treated. Remember, all vaginal creams must be DC'd at least 7 days before a laser treatment.  ESTRING would not need this discontinuing.

Mona Lisa Laser Treatment after Ovarian Cancer

Given that you have had ovarian cancer, I can certainly understand any hesitation you may have about using estrogens even in a small dose. Since you have not had any pelvic radiation, I believe that Mona Lisa Touch laser therapy for vaginal atrophy and the discomfort that accompanies it would be very helpful for your symptoms, and it carries no cancer risk.

Mona Lisa Touch after cancer

The Mona Lisa a Touch for the treatment of GSM, genitourinary syndrome of menopause, is well-suited for you. If a little Premarin cream helps, then likely your tissues will respond to rather quickly, likely noticing improvement after the first of three treatments. The only contraindication for the Mona Lisa Touch for vaginal atrophy would be a prior history of pelvic radiation. I encourage you to have a consult with a Mona Lisa Touch Provider and have a simple evaluation to see if the treatment is right for you. Warmly, Jennifer Murphy, MD

CO2 Laser for Vaginal Atrophy

Hello Sunshine,

Thank you for your question. FemiLift CO2 vaginal resurfacing is an excellent option for discomfort and pain associated with postmenopausal atrophy. It's also a good for symptoms of vaginal relaxation such as stress urinary incontinence and looseness. I don't have experience with MonaLisa, but this only helps with atrophy. If you can't take hormones why are you on Premarin? Is it cream or pill?  Ask your oncologist if you'd be ok to use Estring. This would be cheaper than a laser but it won't help with looseness or incontinence like the FemiLift.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

MonaLisa and FemiLift are excellent choices for treating atrophy after ovarian cancer chemo

Laser resurfacing is an excellent nonhormonal option for vaginal atrophy which occurs after surgical removal of the ovaries (BSO) or chemo for any type of female cancer. If you also have stenosis (severe narrowing) of the vaginal canal, FemiLift now has a slim probe that allows for more comfortable treatments.

MonaLisa scientifically proven to improve Vaginal atrophy

The Mona Lisa touch is the only CO2 fractional Laser which has clinical studies at major medical centers in the USA shown to effectively treat the signs and symptoms of Volvuvaginal atrophy from surgical or natural Menopause. Our office routinely treats Breast and Ovarian cancer survivors who had the pelvic problems due to surgery and chemotherapy.