What is best for indented cheeks? Long term? I am 46 yrs old. Voluma? Fat transfer?

Indented Cheeks and Fillers

I use a lot of Voluma and love it for just this purpose.  Sculptra is also wonderful in building cheeks but it takes a longer time and I often do a combination of both for the best cosmetic effects.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Without a photo or better yet, seeing you in person, it is impossible to recommend the right course of action of your face. Voluma is incredible effective for restoring volume to the mid-face/cheek area and the results are long lasting. Schedule an consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Cheeky Solutions with fillers (Voluma, Bellafill) Sculptra, implants, fat

Facial fullness can be improved long-term with well-placed fillers (Voluma, Bellafill): Sculptra, implants or fat. I recommend getting a consultation with a facial contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Best filler for indented cheek long term

There are many choice for this area. The long term solutions are Sculptra, Bellafill, and Fat. Voluma is a filler that lasts 12-15 months in my experience, not 2 years. Fat has variable take and isn't always permanent or smooth. Revisions have to be done with fat sometimes. I like off the shelf products, and they are easier to get exactly where you want to place them.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a photograph it is difficult to offer definite advice.  Voluma works best in the mid-face of patients, overlying the bone of the cheek to add volume, lift tissues, and supply a natural enhancement.  Sculptra works well in the hollows of the cheek, the portion that is over your teeth to restore volume that is lost with age.  Fat transfer offers a more long-term solution by restoring the fat lost with age with the fat from another portion of your body.  The best treatment is determined through an in-person discussion with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps.

What is best for indented cheeks?

There is no one best option to treat indented cheeks.  There are several options available and they each have different advantages and disadvantages.  As far as fillers go, the longest lasting would be a stimulating agent such as Bellafill.  Sculptra could also be used but would not last as long as Bellafill.  Sculptra results can last  2-4 years.  All the other fillers would not last as long.  Fat transfer could be an option but is an invasive procedure to harvest and transfer the fat.  Surgically placed implants are yet another option.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Solution for Hollow Cheeks

Without seeing a photo it is very difficult to say what would be right for you, however I can tell you that if you have significant volume loss in your cheeks and desire something more long term, Sculptra is a great option. Sculptra is the first injectable that works gradually over a series of three treatments - this means that you will not see results right away and only begin to after a month or more as your own collagen production is stimulated. It’s made from poly-L-lactic acid, which works to replace lost collagen and is used to treat deep folds between the nose and the mouth (also called “smile lines”) and the hollowness of the cheeks. Results can last for more than two years making ideal for someone looking for a longer term improvement.

Dennis Gross, MD