I am 3 weeks post op breast lift with implant and tummy tuck. My breasts are so itchy. Is this normal?

My breasts are extremely itchy at 3 weeks post opp not when I'm naked it's when I put on a bra it seams to irritate the skin? Is this common? Will it subside?

It is not unusual to experience itchiness follow a surgery, including breast lift and augmentation.  If you have a rash, check with your surgeon, as this may be an allergic reaction to a medication that you are taking.  If not, Benadryl ( cream or pills) can help.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Pruritus or itching is often seen after mommy makeover.

As sensibility returns to the skin after an operation patients often experience this is itching. Avoid rubbing or scratching the skin. Usually an ice pack is a good temporary solution. Sometimes antihistamines help.

Itchy breasts

An itchy sensation after surgery is not uncommon and it will lessen with time. You did mention though that it seems to be most noticeable when you have your bra on, so it may be that you are reacting to either a dye from the bra, or it may your laundry detergent.  You may want to try switching to a milder detergent to see if that helps.

Camille Cash, MD

Itchy breasts with contact.

Itching is not unusual after breast surgery and almost always resolves with time. From your description you may have a contact irritation from your bra that has been washed in detergent with fabric softener or dried with dryer sheets. After surgery your skin is very sensitive and if it comes in contact with some of the residue from harsh detergents or the chemicals in dryer sheets or fabric softeners itching may occur.I recommend to all my patients that they should wash all their clothes in Tide Free and never use fabric softener or dryer sheets after surgery.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Itching after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation and implants.

Your description suggests that the nerve irritation from surgery is creating 'dysesthesias' -
  • this is a medical term for 'funny feelings.'
  • Instead of feeling the normal sensation of clothing, the nerves appear to be over-reacting.
  • This can also include startling 'electric' shocks.
  • These feelings usually subside in 6 weeks.
  • That said, let your surgeon know what is going on -
  • Reactions to tape, soap and sutures can, rarely, cause similar problems.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Itchiness after breast surgery

it is not common to have itchiness after a breast augmentation with lift. It should not be a reason for major concern. Occasionally, steri strips can cause a dermatitis reaction that can be itchy. Additionally, you may be experiencing a reaction to one of the antibiotics.

Best to contact your surgeon.

Itching surgeries

No, but why not go see your surgeon for treatment??? Hard to get in contact with him? Than seek second postoperative paid opinions from other boarded plastic surgeons in south Florida.