I am planning on having a full facelift in the near future. Are such procedures typically done in office or hospital/clinic?

What are advantages/disadvantages to these settings? Thanks

Facelift in office or hospital/clinic?

Facelifts can be performed in all of the settings you mentioned.  I would recommend finding a surgeon you like and feel comfortable with to perform your facelift, and let the surgeon decide what setting to use.  It is more important to have a good surgeon than the setting for where the procedure takes place.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in hospital or Office OR

I think that office operating rooms are a very safe option IF it is accredited by either AAAASF or JHACO. Both are agencies that credential office operating rooms and have very high standards. Surgeons who have their own accredited office OR tend to operate more comfortably in their own environments. Some patients, however, feel more safe in a hospital ambulatory center. If this is the case, your surgeon can always do the surgery in the ambulatory center.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Location of facelift surgery

There have been many good answers and a few mediocre answers.  As is said, advice is worth what you pay for it.  You are the one to decide so judge carefully.  My observation is:  The surgeon and the patient are the two most important factors followed by the anesthesia, the location and others. Of course the patient's needs and physical condition are primary.  The physician's experience, education (training) and dedication to his/her patients is close behind.  Anesthesia should be performed by an anesthesiologist or CRNA and not by the operating surgeon or an office nurse.  There are many other decisions that will be made by the surgeon in conjunction with the patient.  I personally do most facelifts in an accredited office surgery suite because it is safe, effective, and convenient for both the patient and myself.  If I did fewer then I probably would go to a surgicenter or hospital.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Facelifts Safe in Either Surgical Center or Hospital

Thanks for your question. Where your surgical procedure is performed is an important issue to discuss with your plastic surgeon during your consultation. A facelift can be performed safely in either of the locations you mention. An office-based surgical suite should be fully accredited to ensure it maintains high safety standards. This is mandatory in Ontario (Toronto). It's also important that a certified anesthesiologist is part of the medical team at your procedure. At my practice, I only perform facelifts in private accredited surgical centers, assuming my patients are healthy, but some patients may prefer a hospital setting.

Marc DuPere, MD

Facelift

I think all options include:  hospital or an accredited surgery center.  I make my decision based on patient preferences and their medical history.  Discuss your options with your surgeon.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts can be safely done in every setting, Office, Surgicenter and Hospital

The location of your surgical procedure depends on your health, medical conditions, and your physicians preference. All of the locations should be safe as long as they are certified. You should talk to your surgeon and ask him which location he recommends for you and why. Do your research, you only have one face.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Choose the best plastic surgeon, then let your surgeon choose the best location.

The most important decision you can plan is choosing the best plastic surgeon for your procedures.  He or she should evaluate your medical condition and the facilities available to use the best one.

Nationally accredited office surgical facilities can be excellent.  Look for AAAASF, AAAHC or JCAHO accrediting agencies listing for the facility.  If your plastic surgeon is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, they are required to only use accredited facilities.  Office facilities offer staff dedicated to specifically cosmetic surgeries, specially trained anesthesia providers, privacy, moderate cost and convenience.

State licensed out patient centers and ordinary hospitals may be your surgeon's choice, based on their preference or your medical conditions.

Best wishes on your choices and procedures.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Where to have a facelift

Remember that having a facelift is real surgery. Safety is the number one rule in surgery. Once you have decided on a surgeon the next questions are what kind of anesthesia will be used and where will the procedure be performed. The surgeon should be able to answer all of your questions on these issues with the emphasis being about safety and how you will get the best result.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in Hospital or Office Based Surgery Center

I prefer to work in my own Dually Certified (Joint Commission and AAAASF) Surgery Center in my office.  The anesthesiologist can stay at the bedside of each patient throughout the entire procedure without going from room to room. I appreciate having my excellent surgical team with me in the OR each day and with patients before and after surgery.  

My patients appreciate the privacy in my office with a private first floor entrance for the day of surgery and post-operative visits.

It is important that a plastic surgeon have admitting privileges to local hospitals. I have hospital privileges to one hospital just .5 miles from my office. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Office Facelift Procedure

Facelift and Short Scar facelifts can be performed in the office, out patient surgery center of hospital under a variety of anesthesia techniques. Minimally invasive procedures are the focus of all surgical fields and plastic surgery is no exception. The trend for looking your best has moved towards procedures that have rapid healing times, reduced risk and leave significantly less scarring than traditional methods. More importantly, most patients want a natural, refreshed look without the appearance of having had surgery. The Lite-Lift™, modified facelift procedure, exemplifies these principles by having 40% less scarring, and nearly half the surgical down time. Rather than being performed with general anesthesia, most are performed in our office with oral sedation and local anesthesia without an IV. Experts in this technique are able to tailor your rejuvenation to better achieve the patient’s desired results.
It seems rational that the more extensive a procedure is, the more dramatic and long lasting the outcome will be but this is not always true. Though there is still a place for the traditional facelift, with it there is also increased recovery time and potential for problems. By using advanced techniques deep to the skin, we are able to minimize external skin incisions and scarring. For example, placing the scar within portions of the ear and ending the incision behind the earlobe crease eliminates the usual telltale scar of a full facelift. Similarly, repositioning the incisions to hide them is also used. For example, beveling the incisions just behind the hairline allows the sideburn not to be displaced too high while allowing hair to grow through the scar to conceal it. In contrast to the traditional facelift, the Lite-Lift™ re-draping of skin is upward, a more natural, anti-gravity, direction eliminating the “swept away” unnatural pull too often seen in Hollywood stars with older facelift techniques.
#facelift
#necklift