I had breast implants on Sept 25. It's now November and the left side dropped but the right hasn't. Should I worry? (Photo)

Right breast implant not dropping

Thank you for posting a question.  Implants can drop for months after surgery, and not always at the same rate.  That stated, it's important to share your concern with your surgeon and have ongoing assessments.

BAM in September: One side has dropped, but the other hasn't

HI,

It is not uncommon for one implant to settle quicker than another, so at this point, I would not worry too much. If the asymmetry persists after a few more months, I would go see your surgeon and discuss with him/her your concerns.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Left side has dropped but the right hasn't. Should I worry?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Due to asymmetrical swelling it is not uncommon to have implants settle at different rates and you are in the common 6-8 week range for this to begin.  I think you will find that your right will drop similarly over the next 1-2 weeks.  Hope this helps.

Implants

Each side will respond differently and you have to be patient with the results. Best of luck.........

Different rates of breast implant "settling"...

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. 

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

As breast implants "settle", they tend to round out the lower breast poles. As this occurs, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

I had breast implants on Sept 25. It's now November and the left side dropped but the right hasn't. Should I worry?

Always best to seek in person second opinions. But also before posted photos might demonstrate you had asymmetry before the surgery. Thus increasing volume with implants magnifies the asymmetry.?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Settling

It will take up to 6 months for your implants to settle, and they may not do so at the same rate. Hang in there!

Mark Sisco, MD
Northbrook Plastic Surgeon

Dropped

You are still very early in your healing phase and do have two different breasts that may not settle at the same time. Please follow all your surgeon's instructions and keep your post operative appointments. Some women do take up to 6 months for everything to stretch and settle.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon