I am a black American. Should I seek a doctor that specializes in ethnic Rhinoplasty?

The chosen one, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
I usually tell my patients that the first step for a safe plastic surgery is to choose a board certified aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon.
This should have a personal website containing details of his professional biography and some photos of the procedures performed.
Your plastic surgeon should be transparent and a honest person with you, with ethical and human values, and especially with good reputation and history. Also, it's much better if this doctor have special training and experience in procedures like the one you're interested.
Finally, i invite you to send your photos to give you more information of interest for you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Hi,

African American and Ethnic Rhinoplasty is a highly specialized subspecialty in plastic surgery. New techniques have been developed over the past 15 years to address cosmetic concerns for this subgroup of patients.

It is also by far the most challenging cosmetic operation in cosmetic surgery. This because the anatomy and skin thickness requires special techniques to achieve desired results. Do your research online and try to choose a surgeon that can deliver results that you seek. Surgeons before and afters will help you with that. You can also send me your photos for computer imaging.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

There is no one nose or set of features that typifies a certain ethnicity. There is a great deal of diversity in individual noses. Find a surgeon who demonstrates vast experience in transforming many types of noses.

Beverly Hills, CA

Ethnic rhinoplasty

"Specialist" may be a little too strong of a word, but certainly someone with meaningful documentable experience with it - and with generally good results. The typical Afro-American rhinoplasty differs greatly in technique from the typical Caucasian reduction rhinoplasty so there really isn't much crossover.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Specializing in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

The simple answer is yes. There are differences in what defines a "beautiful nose" for Caucasian, Middle-eastern, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian faces and is such the techniques and goals in surgery are widely different. You should first seek out a rhinoplasty surgeon that performs many nose surgeries a year and then search for one that performs natural looking ethnic noses. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Specialists are Important

Ethnic rhinoplasty can be complicated secondary to thick skin, weak cartilages, and need for nostril narrowing.  It is important to seek out rhinoplasty specialists who can correctly listen to your concerns and formulate a customized plan to meet your expectations.  This may include cartilage grafting from the septum, ear or rib. 
I recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic & reconstructive surgeon in your area.

Karan Dhir, MD

African American rhino

Hello Alyssia 3120 and thanks for your inquiry. You're definitely on the right track and should seek a BCPS that is experienced in the treatment of the African American nose. Your surgeon should be familiar with the nuances of your ethnic identity so as to perform a balanced operation that preserves yet refines your features. Be beautiful, be well

Dr. B

Ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon

Every busy rhinoplasty surgeon has performed ethnic rhinoplasty. Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their plastic surgery practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty.

Ethinic Rhinoplasty

Great question!

Depending on the procedure and complexity it requires. I would highly recommend to seek someone that performs ethnic Rhinoplasty often so you can see pictures and possible speak to former patients.

Good luck!