I need some advice on scar treatment for the scars from my breast lift I am six weeks post op.

I was just informed by my PS that I should be using pure vitamin E oil on my breast lift scars. After doing my own research I'm not so sure this is the best thing to do. There seems to be a lot of controversy now about vitamin E oil, that it might cause the scars to widen or thicken and also causes cases of dermatitis. Has anyone tried coconut oil? There are a lot of expensive treatments on the market... not sure what I should use. Thank you in advance for your help!

I don't like Vitamin E

I don't like vitamin E as it leaves flat but stretched out scars as it discrupts collagen crosslinking.  I prefer a silicone-based scar cream.  Also, Vitamin E can be irritating to the skin.

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon has thereon preferred method to treat scars.  Generally speaking the application of silicone either in the form of silicon tape or topical silicon solution such as scarguard provide the best proven method for reducing scars after cosmetic surgery.

Scar treatment with silicone sheeting

Thank you for this wonderful question! Vitamin E oil, coconut oil, and many other organic treatments are beneficial all to a varying degree for patients. I have received the best results in scar reduction with a combination of laser treatments and self-adhesive silicone sheeting. While laser treatments can be pricey depending on the amount required and the facility you are utilizing silicone sheeting is something you are able to purchase over the counter or from your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at a minimal cost. Silicone sheeting is able to be purchased in simple strips or specific shapes depending on the incision scar you are treating. There are specific shapes available depending on the type of breast lift you have had that make the use and application of the silicone sheeting easy and manageable. These strips are reusable and provide treatment while you are sleeping or during the day. I suggest following up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to insure any product used meets their treatment protocol. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Hello, Thank you for your question.

Biocorneum its our recommendation. There are multiple option on the market including silicone strips you can order from amazon or paper tape.

Scar treatment after mastopexy

I typically recommend either Mepiform or BioCorneum for scar treatment.  Products like Aloe and Vitamin E oil can cause the scars to widen.    

David Stoker, MD

Scars after Breast Lift

There are a lot of options to help minimize scars after breast lift surgery.  One really nice product, although pretty expensive, is something called Embrace.  It's a specialized tape product than can make a huge difference in scarring.  There are other tape products that may also be effective in helping to minimize scars, including SteriStrips.  Those can be pretty irritating but might also be pretty effective if worn almost all the time.  There are topical silicone products that may also be effective.  Silicone rubber strips are pretty much the "gold standard" in that numerous studies have shown them to be effective for scars when compared to almost any other product out there.  The down-side to the silicone rubber strips is that they're inconvenient.  There is also silicone in "brush on" form, kind of like applying fingernail polish.  That can also be effective but perhaps not quite as effective as the silicone rubber strips or the Embrace.  Onion extract products are prevalent  on the market and they claim to be effective.  I'm not as much a fan of those as the treatments mentioned above but they are readily available, heavily marketed, and many people seem to be happy with them.  I rarely have our patients use vitamin E.  It's something that people like to use, it's easy, it's cheap, but I'm not sure it's nearly as effective as the treatments mentioned above.

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

Silicone gel strips or ointments are usually recommended for scars.  You should apply the ointment and massage the scars regularly.  

Every surgeon thinks

something different. What I would tell you is, listen to your surgeon, he/she likely has had good results with "his/her" after care/scar care regimen. So I would simply listen to your surgeon.