What can I do to freshen my look?

i am 58 and have always looked younger than my age. In the last few years I am aging rapidly - my skin is sagging and I always look tired. I feel like I don't even want to go out anymore and I was always complimented on my looks so I enjoyed being social. I'm not sure what's going on - menopause maybe. But what can I do that is not too expensive to refresh my skin and make me look brighter, I already use high end creams and lotions but need something more without surgery.

Rejuvenated look without surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without a photo or better yet, examining you in person, I can only talk generalities, but there are a not of good non-surgical options for rejuvenating the face. Personally, I would probably recommend a combination of dermal fillers such as Voluma, Vollure and Volbella with Botox and a skin tightening procedure such as Profound RF. 

Refresh Your Look

A face and neck lift would give you the greatest level of correction for neck and jowl aging.  If you are willing to accept less correction then consider radiofrequency skin tightening procedures such as RFAL and Fractora by Inmode.   They involve both non surgical and minimally invasive treatments to tighten skin about 40 -50% of what a facelift would achieve.  Creams and lotions will not tighten your skin to any visible degree.

Facial Rejuvenation

There's different ways you may go about freshening your look. Botox/Xeomin can help reduce appearance of wrinkles caused by facial expression over the years and  Radiesse can help fill the smile lines as well as it can give your cheeks a slight lift. On the surgery route you can find fat transfer may help in increasing the facial volume. You may also benefit from microdermabrasions and chemical peels to regenerate softer, smoother facial skin. 

How to freshen your look

There are many options to consider that will improve and rejuvenate your skin and youthful look. Botox can lift brows and reduce those deep wrinkles on the face, forehead and around the eyes, which improves the quality of skin. To fill in areas where fat loss or sagging occurs, fillers like Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Defyne are great options. They also stimulate collagen and when they stretch the skin, the skin appears healthier.  Another non-surgical solution that is available is Ultherapy. Ultherapy helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality. With so many options out there, my recommendation is to schedule a consultation with a board certified dermatologist who can carefully assess your situation and create a treatment plan tailored to you.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Turning the frown upside down

A non-surgical approach to a face lift is a home run for a balanced and refreshed look.

The face is divided into three tiers; upper, middle and lower

Upper – Botox, Xeomin or Dysport to relax muscles of facial expression

Middle – add majority of volume with thicker dermal fillers to give you higher cheekbones.

Lower–  to shape the jaw line and jowl line and potentially enhance the lips. 

This is how Dr. Ebrahim turns the frown upside down. 

Patient wanting a refreshed appearance

Thank you for your question. this question is better answered with a before and after photo as there a several different types and modalities of treatments that can be used pending on the desired aesthetics goals that are aimed to be achieved. These include the use of neuromodulators such as Botox or Dysport, both Hyaluronic Acid based and/or Calcium based dermal fillers, skin resurfacing procedures such as laser resurfacing, micro-needling, varying grades of chemical peels, and the very popular ultrasound based Ultherapy - all of which are fantastic modalities to tighten your skin and produce your desired refreshed appearance. 

These procedures are generally quite affordable (especially when compared to comprehensive invasive facelifts) and offer the added bonus of minimal downtime for recovery. The effectiveness and risks associated with each of these procedures vary and so it is strongly recommended that you consult with an experienced and highly trained practitioner to assess which procedure/s is or are most suitable for you.

Freshen up your look at 58 or any age

There are so many non surgical options available that will help rejuvenate your skin and improve your youthful look.  What you need should be customized to you and what changes you are seeing.  Chemical peels can help give you a fresher skin appearance and reduce some of the fine lines. Botox can lift brows and reduce even deeper wrinkles on the face, forehead and crows feet around the eyes.  Fillers like Juvederm can fill in areas where fat loss or drooping is occurring.  A more filled look is more youthful and a little fillers can make a big difference in some people.  

There are other energy based procedures that can rejuvenate the skin and actually rebuild more collagen in the deeper layers of the skin.  Ultherapy with Ultrasound, Fractora with radio frequency and laser resurfacing can lift and tighten your skin, lasers and Fractora also have the benefit of improving discoloration both brown and red spots and small blood vessels and reducing pore size if these are also issues you have.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon that performs many different procedures including fillers and energy based procedures will give you the recommendations that are best for you specifically.  

Pradeep K. Sinha, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for Skin Rejuvenation

One of the best non-surgical solutions available is Ultherapy, a form of ultrasound skin tightening. This alternative to surgery helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality.

Ultherapy is performed with no incisions and minor discomfort and has little to no downtime with results can last anywhere from a year to up to 3 years. Ulthera technology works by delivering ultrasonic energy to the deepest dermal layer of the skin, stimulating collagen. The new collagen growth will occur in the 3 months following treatment. 

When you are exploring the options of a facial procedure, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic physician to perform your procedure. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in addressing non-surgical concerns related to the head, face, and neck. 

Turn back the clock!

Thank you for your question. This is one of my favorite things to help with, reversing the clock. With a combination of the right fillers, and skin tightening procedures such as the Ulthera, or Thermitight, you can dramatically tighten your skin for a younger profile that is all natural. Newest in our noninvasive procedures is the Instalift which offers results which rival a light facelift. Meet with an experienced Derm or Plastic surgeon for the best evaluation. Best, Dr. P.

Non surgical face lift

First, seeking a consultation from a experienced board certified plastic surgeon who will give you a thorough examination and provide you with all your options to help improve and maintain a fresh look is advised. Luckily, there are many options for you to consider once you choose a doctor you feel comfortable with. The many options include Botox, dermal fillers, micro-needling, PRP, laser treatment, chemical peels, and Ultherapy. All of these can give you a more youthful refreshed look with very little downtime and is fairly inexpensive. All come with risks and indications of use that should be discussed in consultation. All the best on a more refreshed you!

David Stoker, MD