What can I do to freshen my look?

i am 58 and have always looked younger than my age. In the last few years I am aging rapidly - my skin is sagging and I always look tired. I feel like I don't even want to go out anymore and I was always complimented on my looks so I enjoyed being social. I'm not sure what's going on - menopause maybe. But what can I do that is not too expensive to refresh my skin and make me look brighter, I already use high end creams and lotions but need something more without surgery.

How to freshen your look

There are many options to consider that will improve and rejuvenate your skin and youthful look. Botox can lift brows and reduce those deep wrinkles on the face, forehead and around the eyes, which improves the quality of skin. To fill in areas where fat loss or sagging occurs, fillers like Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Defyne are great options. They also stimulate collagen and when they stretch the skin, the skin appears healthier.  Another non-surgical solution that is available is Ultherapy. Ultherapy helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality. With so many options out there, my recommendation is to schedule a consultation with a board certified dermatologist who can carefully assess your situation and create a treatment plan tailored to you.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Turning the frown upside down

A non-surgical approach to a face lift is a home run for a balanced and refreshed look.

The face is divided into three tiers; upper, middle and lower

Upper – Botox, Xeomin or Dysport to relax muscles of facial expression

Middle – add majority of volume with thicker dermal fillers to give you higher cheekbones.

Lower–  to shape the jaw line and jowl line and potentially enhance the lips. 

This is how Dr. Ebrahim turns the frown upside down. 

Shehla Ebrahim, MD
Vancouver Physician

Patient wanting a refreshed appearance

Thank you for your question. this question is better answered with a before and after photo as there a several different types and modalities of treatments that can be used pending on the desired aesthetics goals that are aimed to be achieved. These include the use of neuromodulators such as Botox or Dysport, both Hyaluronic Acid based and/or Calcium based dermal fillers, skin resurfacing procedures such as laser resurfacing, micro-needling, varying grades of chemical peels, and the very popular ultrasound based Ultherapy - all of which are fantastic modalities to tighten your skin and produce your desired refreshed appearance. 

These procedures are generally quite affordable (especially when compared to comprehensive invasive facelifts) and offer the added bonus of minimal downtime for recovery. The effectiveness and risks associated with each of these procedures vary and so it is strongly recommended that you consult with an experienced and highly trained practitioner to assess which procedure/s is or are most suitable for you.

Tom Jodlovich, MBBS, MPH
Sydney Physician

Freshen up your look at 58 or any age

There are so many non surgical options available that will help rejuvenate your skin and improve your youthful look.  What you need should be customized to you and what changes you are seeing.  Chemical peels can help give you a fresher skin appearance and reduce some of the fine lines. Botox can lift brows and reduce even deeper wrinkles on the face, forehead and crows feet around the eyes.  Fillers like Juvederm can fill in areas where fat loss or drooping is occurring.  A more filled look is more youthful and a little fillers can make a big difference in some people.  

There are other energy based procedures that can rejuvenate the skin and actually rebuild more collagen in the deeper layers of the skin.  Ultherapy with Ultrasound, Fractora with radio frequency and laser resurfacing can lift and tighten your skin, lasers and Fractora also have the benefit of improving discoloration both brown and red spots and small blood vessels and reducing pore size if these are also issues you have.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon that performs many different procedures including fillers and energy based procedures will give you the recommendations that are best for you specifically.  

Pradeep K. Sinha, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for Skin Rejuvenation

One of the best non-surgical solutions available is Ultherapy, a form of ultrasound skin tightening. This alternative to surgery helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality.

Ultherapy is performed with no incisions and minor discomfort and has little to no downtime with results can last anywhere from a year to up to 3 years. Ulthera technology works by delivering ultrasonic energy to the deepest dermal layer of the skin, stimulating collagen. The new collagen growth will occur in the 3 months following treatment. 

When you are exploring the options of a facial procedure, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic physician to perform your procedure. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in addressing non-surgical concerns related to the head, face, and neck. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turn back the clock!

Thank you for your question. This is one of my favorite things to help with, reversing the clock. With a combination of the right fillers, and skin tightening procedures such as the Ulthera, or Thermitight, you can dramatically tighten your skin for a younger profile that is all natural. Newest in our noninvasive procedures is the Instalift which offers results which rival a light facelift. Meet with an experienced Derm or Plastic surgeon for the best evaluation. Best, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Non surgical face lift

First, seeking a consultation from a experienced board certified plastic surgeon who will give you a thorough examination and provide you with all your options to help improve and maintain a fresh look is advised. Luckily, there are many options for you to consider once you choose a doctor you feel comfortable with. The many options include Botox, dermal fillers, micro-needling, PRP, laser treatment, chemical peels, and Ultherapy. All of these can give you a more youthful refreshed look with very little downtime and is fairly inexpensive. All come with risks and indications of use that should be discussed in consultation. All the best on a more refreshed you!

David Stoker, MD

NonSurgical Facelift

The best nonsurgical facelift techniques can be best determined when you have a consultation.  At the time of consultation your Facial Plastic Surgeon can review your medical history and determine your treatment options.

In general nonsurgical techniques such as fractional resurfacing can be used to tighten skin and smooth wrinkles.  Some of the more recent fillers can be used to provide some lift for the cheeks, and lift early jowls.  Others can be used to add volume.  All procedures have their limitations.  For some people a facial and neck tightening procedure may be necessary.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

What can I do to freshen my look?

If you are not happy with the look of your face, you feel that you are getting older, your skin started to lose its elasticity and if you think that this situation is going to get even worse if you do not take any precaution; then you can be a good candidate for “Spider Web Aesthetics”. Most people are afraid of surgical interventions since the complication risk and the results can frighten the patients. Therefore patients are seeking for non-surgical solutions more and more. Spider Web Aesthetics is a non-surgical lifting method developed by plastic surgeon Bülent Cihantimur MD. If you are afraid of having a surgical intervention and you are not happy with the sagging of your skin especially in face, inner arms, buttocks and neck; you should consider undergoing this minimal invasive, safe and effective method.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

What can I do to freshen my look?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  When patients present looking for facial rejuvenation I often discuss with them surgical and nonsurgical options and alternatives to achieve a more youthful appearance.  Nonsurgical options include:

1.  Hydration - Appropriate intake of water through the day is vital for organ system support, including the skin in order to maintain appropriate hydration and turgor to tissues, minimize wrinkling and swelling, and lend a clearer appearance.

2.  Skin Care - Start a good skin care regimen, incorporating a retinol, lightening cream, and sunblock to improve skin clarity, tone, texture, and thickness, while treating fine lines and wrinkles, accelerating skin turnover and evening skin coloration.  Minimizing sun exposure to prevent the early degradation of collagen and elastin in skin that can lead to thin, sagging tissues. 

3.  Botox - Help slow the progression of wrinkle formation in the head and neck region  

4.  Fillers - Help restore the volume of soft tissues and bone that we lose with age, aid in lifting soft tissues, prevent sagging of these soft tissues and help achieve an improved shape to the facial silhouette.

5. Chemical Peels - Help to firm, tighten, and even skin tone and texture through a series of treatments.  

Hope this helps.