Is this fat or loose skin? Why is it like that? (photos)

Hi all, 4 years ago I dropped down from 99 kilo to 68 kilo in approximately 4 to 5 months. I lost that weight in an unhealthy way. I still yet not in gym but I decided to join, so I just want to know my problem. I went to a doctor who said I would need a Tummy Tuck but I didn't trust him. Then, I went to 3 more who said I'm still young so I better start to work out. I'm 20 years old, 173 hight, and 73.7 kilo currently. Thanks in advance

It’s hard to tell without an in-person consultation, but it looks like that is loose skin around your abdomen. If that’s the case, you could undergo a tummy tuck to get rid of it. But, since you are still so young, diet and exercise could have a positive effect on your body. I recommend meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area that can further address your questions.

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Excess Fat vs Skin Following Weight Loss

From your photos, it looks like you have both some remaining excess fat and minor to moderate loose skin.  However, considering your young age and no visible stretch marks, I would not have a tummy tuck as your next step.  I suggest exercise and a healthy diet and lifestyle for a while.  Then consider liposuction of areas that don't reduce enough.  A tummy tuck is the only option to actually tighten skin significantly, but you are still young enough that your skin elasticity may bounce back with exercise and "toning up".  If you don't get smooth and firm enough the other options, then I would proceed to a tummy tuck.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Loose Skin and Excess Fat after weight loss

Unless you are planning on losing more weight, then exercise alone will probably not appreciably change the areas of your concern. You have lost a significant amount of weight and your skin will not be able to contract any further to a significant degree. If you want the best shape possible right now at your current weight then a combination of liposuction and abdominoplasty will remove excess skin and fat and restore a much flatter abdomen. As for exercise, it is important on its own as a way to improve your health but usually will not have a dramatic effect on your weight if not combined with dietary changes in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with getting in shape - I just don't think that your skin is going to contract any further. If you think the surgical option is your best bet then see a few more surgeons to get a better consensus of what the best approach is.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Fat vs. Loose Skin

There is the potential that this could be either excess fat or loose skin. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Therefore there is the option for any of the surgical methods to tighten up either or both the extra fat and loos skin around your abdomen.

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question. I would recomend you to reach your ideal goal weight before considering doing surgery. When you have reached an estable weight an in person examination would be the best option to determine what procedure is the best for you. I could say you will need a tummy tuck to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance.  We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal figure. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  I can see from your pictures that you do have quite o bit of loose and extra skin as well as some stretch marks.  As a result, this skin excess can only be resolved by a Tummy tuck to remove the extra skin.  Although, you are young, it is ok to do it at your age and get you started on your new path to your new, healthier look.

I have done TT on young men after weight loss quite a few times and would be happy to give you another opinion in a consultation in my office.

Ramiro Morales MD, Miramar FL

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck Criterial things...

Hello, thanks for share your case and photos, you are an excelent candiate to make a Tummy Tuck, with back and flanks liposuction, becasue you need to get the abdoinal muscle repaired, and remove the excess of skin un your abdomen. with that procedure you will get an excelent shape in your body. have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Abdomimal Fat or Loose Skin?

From your photo it is clear that you have loose abdominal skin.  This is best appreciated bu the fullness above the umbilicus (belly button) where the mid-abdominal skin is tethered.  You will need a tummy tuck designed to remove excess skin to achieve a flat abdominal contour. For best information be sure to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has a broad experience with this procedure.  Make sure to review a comprehensive portfolio of his/her work so you can gauge the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

You will need skin removal via a tummy tuck when you are ready

My recommendation is that you continue to lose weight and exercise. When you are down to your goal weight you will need a tummy tuck and some contouring liposuction.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Fat or loose skin

As I can see by the pictures, you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck as you are close to your ideal weight but have excess abdominal skin, due to the weight loss.

Francisco Rodriguez Rosario, MD