Cool sculpting bulges 3 months after treatment. Is this normal? (Photo)

I had Cool Sculpting on 4 sections of the abdomen last year. Saw no change except for some unevenness but I was happy. Had it a second time 3 months ago on upper abdomen. For two months it appeared to have worked wonderfully. I could put on my bra without the bulging underneath. But now pthe bulges are back even though I LOST weight after the procedure. The bulges are more defined and more firm feeling than before the procedure. Any advice would be super helpful

Bigger after CS

It is possible to get hypertrophy of fat after Coolsculpting which can be resolved with liposuction but this is very rare.  Check with your doctor.
Sheila Nazarian

Bulging after CoolSculpt

This looks like paradoxical hyperplasia.  This has been well described and is  in the consent that you signed.  I would go back and show your doctor and let them examine. My  understanding is that the company will take care of this for you and they will recommend liposuction.  Talk to your doctor.

Shelley Halper, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Hyperplasia

You may have paradoxical hyperplasia and should get a formal evaluation to see if liposuction is needed to fix this issue.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting Bulges 3 Months After Treatment

It's impossible to give any meaningful advice without seeing a full set of before and after pictures and performing an in-person examination. The best thing for you to do is to follow up with your treatment provider and voice your concerns. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Post Cool Sculpting swelling

I would recommend contacting your treating office for follow up care.  I tell my patients that a follow up appointment within a 3-4 month period after Cool Sculpting is necessary to evaluate the treatment result.  

Coolsculpting and side effects

Hi, I would strongly recommend you consult with your treating physician with an in person evaluation. It is not possible to diagnose you on just photographs alone but I would be concerned about paradoxical adipose hyperplasia, a extremely rare side effect where the fat layer thickens after Coolsculpting. This is one of the reasons I feel this procedure is best performed in the office of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon because this is something I discuss as part of the informed consent procedure to make sure my patients are fully informed, and are also going to be treated in a setting where we are knowledgeable in the biology and treatment of fat.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia

It appears that you may have the rare side effect called paradoxical adipose hyperplasia. This is where the fat grows in areas previously treated with cryolipolysis. You may need liposuction to correct it. 

I would encourage you to follow up with your CoolSculpting doctor for an evaluation in person. He or she will be able to guide you through the next steps. 

Elizabeth Geddes, MD

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Bulges and Coolsculpting

It is possible that you have paradoxical hyperplasia from the procedure.  I would definitely return to your board certified physician for the best advice.  Best, Dr. Green