My Breast Aug surgery is next Thursday and I am deciding between 310 and 330cc, advice? (photos)

Please help! I am aware that 20 cc should not make a big difference but it seems to. I have an athletic build- muscular with broad shoulders but a small waist. I am an A cup trying to get to a standard C. My doctor had me try on 300 implants to show me what 310 would look like under the muscle and 325 for 330. The 310 looks good but once it goes under the muscle it might be too small. The 330 looks really big but may end up looking smaller. I don't want to go too big. Height 5'6 Weight 130

Don't worry about 20 mL

A 20 mL (cc) difference in size of the breast implants is so small that you would likely not notice the difference even if one size was placed into your right breast and the other size into your left breast.  Your breasts may very well be that much different in size already and you may not know it.  It is more important to get the general size you want.  Many Plastic Surgeons have external sizers that were designed to be placed over the natural breast and beneath the bra to get an idea of the approximate size implant you might be happy with. 

Port Saint Lucie Plastic Surgeon

Implant Choice

Thanks for your question and pictures.  And best wishes on your upcoming surgery! 20 cc difference is very minor.  It is about the amount of liquid you can fit in a standard soup spoon.  The most important is being comfortable with your surgeon, their communication and operative plan. 

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

20cc not a big deal

just do the 330 and be done with it. There isnt a big difference between the two, meaning 20cc isnt going to make you look really big and 310 wont, they are basically the same size, just go bigger, most woman regret not going big enough, going from an A to a full C, you need a good 330cc under the muscle. Best of luck

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

My Breast Aug surgery is next Thursday and I am deciding between 310 and 330cc, advice?

I understand your frustration. This issue is best dealt with by revisiting your Surgeon and his staff. This should get you comfortable prior to your surgery.

What size Implant?

The differences you are discussing are very small but it is really important that you get it right.

I offer all of my pts a 3D virtual Reality Consultation that can allow a pt to see a preview of different sized and shaped implants as well as the effect of placing it under or over the muscle.

Good luck  

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Deciding about breast implants...

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.    As you know, the 20 cc difference  in breast implant volumes you are considering may or may not even be clinically noticeable.  I would suggest that you ask yourself if you might be prone to having the most common regret after this operation: "I wish I was bigger".

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given your concerns and that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "too big" or "standard C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

I think most patients want to be a little bigger and fuller. The implant is going to add almost a cup and a half to your size. The sub muscular  pocket is an excellent choice for the 330 cc implant. Good Luck, You look like a great candidate.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

If my patient finds that they cannot decide and the two sizes are only 20 cc different I usually recommend that they choose the slightly larger one as few of my patients have ever regretted doing so.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD