55 year old with bad fat under chin. Will Kybella work for me or what are my alternatives? (Photos)

I am 55 and hate my double chin. I have been looking into kybella . I had surgery on the left side of my neck for a cyst when I was 13 that left me with minor nerve damage to that side of my face. That makes me a bit frightened to do lipo under my chin or around my neck. I don't know what to do? Please advise. Thanks

I'm 55. Am I a good candidate for Kybella?

The answer is...it really depends.  It depends on the degree of improvement you are looking for.  

If you want a neck that is completely tightened and improved on a 9-10/10 degree scale, then I would recommend a formal neck lift.  If you want just a little bit of improvement, then I would say that you might benefit from 2-3 sessions of Kybella spaced 2-3 months apart.  

The procedure that I would recommend, however, would be a combination of mild liposuction/ThermiTight to remove the small amount of fat that you probably have as well as to encourage tightening of the overlying skin envelope.  As compared to Kybella which would require several sessions, Thermi treatment would require only one.

You could expect overall results in about 6-9 months with Kybella and Thermi while the neck lift results would be achieved far faster but also with the need for formal incisions.

I hope that helps!

Will Kybella Work?

Whether or not Kybella is the right choice for you is really going to depend on your desired outcome. If you are simply wanting to get rid of the pocket of fat and are not concerned about loose skin in the neck then Kybella could be the way to go. Otherwise, I would recommend a neck lift. My best advice would be for you to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess you in person and discuss the pros and cons of each option so that you can make a truly informed decision. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Will Kybella work for me?

I would recommend a consult with the surgeon you are interested in performing the procedure. Former nerve damage may or may not be a concern when it comes to Kybella. An examination of the area and a formal health history review should be done to determine what can be done to help eliminate your double chin.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for Kybella

You appear to still have good skin tone with a fat deposit in the submental area(under the chin). Because of this, I think you would be an excellent candidate for Kybella. After 2-3 treatments, you should see great results with good contraction to the skin which will improve your neckline and contour. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for Double Chin

Kybella is the first non-surgical injectable treatment to treat the double chin. The results can be very impressive. The biggest concern patients have is temporary swelling in the area for a week or two after the treatment. Most people require two to four treatments and treatments are performed every four to eight weeks. People who have had surgery in the treatment area or are planning surgery in the treatment area are cautioned when getting Kybella. This is because previous surgery can affect the structures in the area. For example there may be scar tissue which may interfere with the treatment. I recommend consulting with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Is Kybella for me

Kybella is a great new treatment for fat under the chin.  It works by breaking down the fatty deposits and resulting in some skin retraction of the area.   Results can vary depending on the amount of fat present, the amount of laxity, and the amount of kybella injected.  In general, patients need several treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart.  Final results can take 3-4 months post final injections.  The contraction will not give the skin tightening of a face lift or surgical procedure as it will not address the laxity and loss of volume of the chin and lateral jawline.  It is important to have a frank conversation about your expectations prior to any treatment.   If reduction of fat and improvement of the double chin is what you want, Kybella may be for you.  If you want to address the laxity as well, perhaps a surgical procedure would be better.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck contouring

Dear Bab1, 

I appreciate your concerns.  Kybella can certainly reduce accumulated fatty tissue in the middle part of the neck under the chin.  Its use is contraindicated however at the jawline to reduce jowls (potential for motor nerve injury).  CoolSculpting (CoolMini applicator) is another good non-surgical option for the double chin.  

Laser liposuction is a minimally invasive alternative that an provide better overall results for contouring the lower face and neck.  The best results would be achieved by combining this with surgery (laser facelift).

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella candidate.

Thank you for your question. From looking at your photos you seem to be a good candidate for Kybella. It is a great minimally invasive option for you to help define your jawline (submental area). Kybella is an injectable product that can be used to help your body to rid itself of fat cells that form under the chin. Benefits of Kybella include:
FDA-approved for use on fat underneath the chinse
Allows more control then coolsculpting over the treatment area
Minimally invasive
No downtime
Reduced fat underneath the chin
Better appearance
Youthful look
No surgery
No general anesthesia
Very rare and minimal side effects (typically bruising, pain, and redness at the injection points)

I recommend consulting with a qualified physician for a full consultation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella will probably help your double chin

Kybella works well for dissolving fat below the chin.  Based on your photos it looks like you might be a good candidate.  It will probably take 2-3 treatments, possible more but the results are permanent.  Good luck.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for fat under chin

Great question. Kybella is a fat reduction procedure and only minimally tightens skin. The photos you have uploaded are limited and do not replace an in-person consultation. However, they do suggest that both submental fat and skin laxity are an issue for you. Your options including both surgical and nonsurgical treatments. Nonsurgically, I would consider a combination treatment; for example, Kybella to treat the submental fat and Ultherapy or Thermi to tighten the skin.