I'm 5'5" and 250 pounds. Am I too big for a breast lift/augmentation?

it is always best to reach your goal weight before not after breast lift and augmentation. If you lose weight after surgery your breasts will sag again undoing your result.

For more information please read below:

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

BMI >40 and plastic surgery

At your current weight you are at increased risk for a variety of complications including (but not limited to) infections, fat necrosis, embolism, wound dehisence, pneumonia, etc . Undergoing general anesthesia at your present weight also poses unnecessary risks for you. Please be aware that these risks are real and pose a threat to your overall health. I understand weight loss is difficult, but rest assured it will improve your quality of life and results from any plastic surgical procedure you are desiring. FYI, breast implants are no longer necessary to achieve upper pole fullness when needing a breast lift if The Horndeski Method (TM) is utilized.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Too big for lift/aug

In almost all cases it would be best if you were at your ideal weight.Could you do it? Yes but say your lose 40 or 50 pounds what happens? So getting to your ideal weight is always best.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'5" and 250 pounds. Am I too big for a breast lift/augmentation

The issue with your desired surgery is that you have a high body mass index. A high body mass index puts the patient at risk for poor healing, potential infections, and other risks. You would need to discuss this with the surgeon you chose.

Julio Garcia, MD

You need to loose weight before surgery

You are right in your self assessment.  You need to loose weight and then consider your available options.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast augmentation and weight

Yes, I think your BMI might be too high. It is always safer to undergo surgery at a lower BMI than where you are now.

Breast augmentation with lift after weight loss. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

Plastic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss", it's a Plastic Surgery Sub-specialty, responsible for correcting the excessive sagging skin of different body areas, caused by a massive weight loss in a short time, in a special kind of patient, because can be exist comorbidities due to obesity.

In my experience, I have had very good results performing Breast Lift with silicone implants for cases like yours: with a significant breast fall and sagging skin, as a result of massive weight loss.

Finally, I recommend be treated by certified plastic surgeon, with special training in Plastic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss. Therefore, it will use different surgical techniques and special safety measures for the ex obese patient.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

For best results you should be at a lower weight by 50 pounds+. Best to see a few boarded PSs in person to discuss the surgery with you after an in person examination. 

Lose weight?

Thank you for your question.  My recommendation for you would be to reach a goal weight prior to undergoing a breast lift.  If you continue to lose more weight after undergoing a breast lift (especially with implants), there is a good chance that your breasts will continue to sag again.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL