24 yr male. How many hair grafts do I need? I trimmed all of my hair (Photo)

24 yr male after trim all hair my condition from 1 month I am on finastraoid and monoxidil ....and my plan for hair transplant after 3 year age of about 28yr ...so pls tell me how many graft I needed if my condition same after 3 year

Hair transplant surgery is not about "how many grafts" you need, but about how a doctor can match your goals and expectations.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts?

Hello Yaksh.  It is quite clear from the answers you've got so far that there are lots of opinions out there.  You've got a low-ball of 1500, all the way to 3500. That's a big range and a big difference in cost.

The most important question is what you want to achieve? Everyone wants a full head of hair, but bringing back normal hair cannot be done.  Neither you or anyone else have enough hair follicles on the back of the scalp to completely graft the front, mid-scalp and the crown.  It can't be done.  You have about 12,000 follicular hair units on the donor area in the back of your scalp.  That means we can harvest about 6,000 units in total before it shows on the back (more than 50% starts to look thin).  So we have to prioritize the hair transplant:  What we do instead is do our best to give the look of a full head of hair using the limited number of grafts we can harvest from the back of your scalp.  The most important part is to reconstruct your front hairline, then the temples, and the area right behind the front and in the middle.  These are the areas you see in the mirror, and the areas 99% of people see when they talk to you or look at your face.  If those areas are build up nicely it can give a very natural and attractive result, and make you very happy.  That's where most of the grafts need to go.

You are still very young and your hair loss is  an ongoing process.  You will likely lose more hair in the next 10 to 20 years, and your scalp will look very different than it does now. Hopefully the Minoxidil and Finasteride will greatly slow down the hair loss.  If your hair stays as it is now, you could probably rebuild those critical areas we talked about with about 2000 grafts and have a great result.  If you lose all this hair (and there's a good chance you will in the next 10 years) then anything less than 3500 will still look thin.  3500 will fill in the front and temples, and you can have a second session to fill in the mid scalp or the crown with another 2000 - 2500.

The bottom line is you probably should  wait at least 4-5 more years and monitor your hair loss, and only then decide on a transplant.  The amount will depend on how much hair loss you will have by then.  I hope that helps to explain the wide range of numbers you were given.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Hair transplant

Thank you for asking this question.

Yes, finasteride and minoxidil should help quite a much to postpose the progression of the hair-loss. As per current progression, you require anywhere between 1500 to 1800 grafts to re-build the anterior hairline. For these number of grafts, you can opt for either of the techniques, viz, FUT or FUE.

Good luck!

Regards, Dr. Amit Gupta

How many hair grafts

I advise you to have a FUE operation of 3500 grafts. Doctor has to shave the donor area hair short, otherwise he/she can not harvest the grafts one by one. Hair transplantation would cover all bald spot in one session of operation and you would have a good, successfull result . 

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How many grafts

Yaksh, thanks for posting.  You are off to a good start with your medical management.  Hopefully this will stabilize the hair loss.   You will have to be evaluated closer to when you want your procedure, but I estimate that you will need in the ball park of 2000 grafts.  Again, nothing replaces in person consultation and examination.  Please see attached web reference.  Good luck!

Good plan

At this time your balding seems to be confined to around your forelock and with luck, possibly the finasteride will reverse this. Wait it out before considering a hair transplant. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Graft Number

The number of grafts needed will  be determined by what a patients goals may be. Hairline restoration vs. adding density to a thinning crown will necessitate different counts. Addressing both will often times require multiple procedures. 

A good rule of thumb is that 1200-1500 grafts will be needed to restore a receding hairline. 2000 grafts will add reasonable density to an area of the crown about the size of a compact disc. 

Based upon your photos alone, I would venture to guess that you may need ultimately need upwards of 3000 grafts (split between 2 procedures), if the goal is to restore good density throughout.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon (ABPS) with experience in hair restoration.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon