10 days after mole shaved. Extremely upset about round indentation. Told this would be better than excision. What to do? (Photo)

10 days ago after careful consideration, i decided to have a mole removed on my cheek near my mouth. I decided to go with a plastic surgeon since it was recommended I may get better results than with dermatologist. Originally it was to be an line excision with just a few stitches. When I arrived at the office for procedure, the doctor felt a shave would provide better results plus it was easier for him to do. Now I am left with a round, red indent! Will it improve or need more surgery? Help

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- SEE AN EXPERT Dermatologic Surgeon

It takes 6-12 weeks to see the outcome of a shave excision of a mole. I suggest proper skin care at this time.  If you are unhappy, lasers can be used to soften/improve the area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Patience

The key word here is patience.  Give your body a chance to heal this wound.  You might be amazed how much that depression will fill in.
Given the area and the size, I believe that a shave was the correct technique.  If that lesion were incised, the scar, although straight would have been larger.
There are things that can be done to mature scars to soften them.
Discuss them with your dermatologist or see a plastic surgeon, but give it a few months.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Indentation After Shave Removal for Facial Mole

Dear A.G.~

Thank you for sharing your photos.  The mole on your cheek in the before photo has a wide base.  In order to excise it and leave a flat line, it would actually require an incision longer than the size of the mole itself.  Since this is a conspicuous area, your surgeon likely felt that a shave excision would give a more aesthetic result.  The entire base of the lesion should be removed to minimize the chance of regrowth, which explains the depth of the shave.  

The redness is normal at this stage.  It is a little difficult to see the indentation in the photo.  However, it does not appear excessively deep and it is still very early in the healing process.  It is likely that the appearance will improve with time.  A slight indentation may also be more favorable in appearance than the scar that an excision would have made.  If an indentation is still present after the area has healed completely, there are other treatments that can help improve the appearance, such as lasers, micro-needling, and fillers.  Again, much too early to tell!  Please continue to follow-up with your surgeon.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD