I'm concerned about the suture spitting and how far it can go before it gets too bad. Does this look normal 10 weeks PO? (photo)

I'm 10 weeks PO and my sutures continue to spit out but only on left side. I'm a non smoker and healthy and normally heal well. The right side has healed beautifully. But I'm concerned about how long this can stay open. Every dressing that I've bought or they've given me stick to it and irritate it when I change them. It bleeds constantly especially when the dressing is changed. It burns like crazy. It drains, oozes, bleeds constantly and smells like a rotting corpse to me. What should be done?

Granulating wound

The wound appears to be healing from the bottom up by forming granulation tissue, which is the bright red tissue. Your surgeon should have wound care instructions for you.

Incision Issue

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the appearance and your description, you should be having regular, professional wound care with a qualified Plastic Surgeon. Dressing and wound evaluation should be done by a doctor. This should not be self-managed.

All the best

Wound healing issues

It appears to me from your photography, that the wound, for whatever reason, fell apart and is now healing from the inside out. In my opinion, it's best to keep these type wounds in a moist sterile environment that would support the growth of the outside layer of your skin over the red part. Sometimes silver nitrate may be used to adjust the quality of the red tissue to make it easier for the outside layer to heal. A wet dressing of some type, we use Dakins solution to both clean the wound as it contains Clorox as well as support the wet environment best for regrowth of the outside layer of skin. Follow your instructions given to you by your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I'm concerned about the suture spitting and how far it can go before it gets too bad. Does this look normal 10 weeks PO?

Are you NOT receiving in person MD care? Because it sounds like you are NOT. SEEK in person PAID second opinion MD care. Fee from $500 per visit.

Thank you for sharing your photographs and questions.  I am sorry to hear of your wound healing difficulties but it appears that your body is starting to fill in and heal this area of incision separation well.  I do not know the original reason for the separation - suture spitting or too great of tension - but your body had to heal itself from the inside-out.  I would recommend maintaining close follow up with your surgeon to ensure this continues without any other complications.  Hang in there.