Does juvederm, botox and glycolic peels really work because I can't see as they have after spending over $5,000.00?

I have received Juvederm Ultra plus with Lidoc and juvedermvoluma and juvederm volbella with lidocaine since Nov. 2o15 and now was told I should have 6 facial peels of glycolic facial peels to smooth out my wrinkles which most have returned--also have had botox and those wrinkles have returned. I don't see any difference after 3 peels. I am wondering what would be better excluding a face lift.

Getting a facelift isn't going to correct everything

This is a very common misunderstanding. A facelift only helps with loose skin. Volume depletion, eye bags, lid laxity, eyebrow droop, neck fat, are all additional problems not part of a facelift. There are surgical corrections for these too, but these all add up very quickly. Also keep in mind that these procedure don't last forever. Skin pigmentation problems, areas around the mouth, are not addressed during a facelift. Botox is still needed after surgery. There is one study that shows a facelift sets back the clock about 3 to 5 years. I am a surgeon and now a believer in the minimally invasive procedures you mention. You must go to a top notch provider because these treatments vary significantly between docs. There is downtime, missed work which also needs to be factored into surgery. The results are hard to correct too, if they are not what you anticipated or like.

Facial rejuvenation

Thank you for your question StH209. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. As we age our skin changes and a variety of treatments are available for rejuvenation. It is important to understand that such rejuvenation is an ongoing process because we continue to age and certain treatments only last for so long. For example most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatments for 3-4 months. At that time maintenance treatment is indicated. The same is true for fillers and peels, although their longevity is different. It is difficult to assess results without before and after photographs In our office we take photographs before and after every treatment in order to monitor our patients' progress. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Sorting out the options...

Rejuvenation is a long-term process with so many options - and all of them add up to great expense. I find it helpful with my patients to make a list of the specific features that are most bothersome, and then make a realistic plan to tackle one or two that top the list. You'll find that one modality - for example fillers - help to restore contour and volume, but that one modality won't completely solve other issues - wrinkles... CO2 laser resurfacing is a modality that beautifully restores the quality of the skin and tightens the skin to some extent, but doesn't help the loss of volume in the facial tissues or change drooping tissue - brows, upper lids, etc. A long range plan using several modalities is often helpful. Budget for those things that seem to produce the best results for you. Surgical procedures that have a lasting effect are those that remove tissue - and they happen to have some down time. Once you see improvements in your skin quality with the peels for example, protect your investment by using good sun precautions and good skin care products. Avoid smoking, eat well, exercise, and get adequate sleep. For the long term, you may feel more confident if you seek more than one opinion. Best wishes on your rejuvenation!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Does JVD, Botox, and Glycolic Peels really work?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Facial rejuvenation is a continuous on-going process and requires daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance.  This includes appropriate hydration, skin care regimens, Botox, dermal fillers, chemical peels and at some point surgery.  Talk to your physician about your concerns as they should be able to explain how all of these pieces work together to keep you looking younger than your age.  Hope this helps.