Removal of saline 550-600cc implants.

I am a 52 year old woman. I have had saline 550-600cc implants for 15 years. After the implants are removed, does the empty space where the implants were placed, require additional reconstruction? Recovery time?

The pocket needs to close.

While it is possible to leave the empty pocket created from removal of the implants to close on its own, that is a more precarious situation.  This could permit the accumulation of fluid and/or folding of the left over capsule (scar around the prior implant).  If this occurs, your final appearance will be compromised and additional surgery could be required.

A much better option in my opinion is to completely remove the implant capsule and insert a temporary drain to encourage flattening of the space.  Once that is done, you're likely to also need a breast lift to address the lax skin.  It is the rare patient who doesn't require this extra step to acheive the best result.

Recovery time from these manuvers is fairly brief:  usually only a few days before resuming deskwork and light duty.

Lastly, if you are doubting your decision to remove your implants......don't!  Most of my patients who get to the point of seriously considering taking their implants out, never regret the decision; in fact, they often wish they had done it sooner.

Best of luck.

Removal of saline implants

HI Darcy,

Usually if you have breast implants removed , you may need to have a breast lift . This procedure may be necessary if you have a lot of skin and also if the skin does not have good tone.

It would be best for you to visit a Board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss all your options.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Implant removal

Hello and thank you for your question. After having implants removed it is quiet possible that you will need to have a lift of your breast tissue to get an aesthetically pleasing result. What I typically recommended for patients is they have their implants removed and wait a period of 4-6 months to see how much their breast take their natural shape on their own and determine from there if they still wish to have a lift. Recovery for just implant removal is typically very easy, some surgeons place drains which are removed about a week after surgery. Usually there is very minimal pain. Good luck with your surgery!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

Thank you for your question.  This is a great question and something that would need to be discussed in person at a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out specifically what is best for you. However, typically when implants are removed after a long period of time a lift is required after removing implants to remove some of the excess and sagging skin.

Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

After removal of the implants the breasts are likely to look deflated with saggy, hanging skin.  For this reason many women opt to have a breast lift done in conjunction with removal.  Sometimes they also consider having a smaller implant placed in order to optimize shape.  The recovery time will depend on the extent of the surgery, meaning whether just implants are removed, implants and capsules, or implants removed and breast lift done.  Most women who work outside the home at a non-physical position can return to work in 7-10 days.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast reconstruction after removal of 550-600 cc implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

Yes, usually when implants are removed a breast lift is done at the same time. Otherwise you will have a widened, flatter and somewhat sagging breast. With a small lift, your shape is restored although of course you will be smaller without the implants. Recovery from a breast lift is usually 2 weeks - until normal activity can be fully resumed but there is little pain.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS