I had surgery in December 2015 to repair a septal perforation. My surgeon told me it was an easy fix. I wish I knew better then!

What worse, he didn't do anything to fix the holes in my nose, several doctors aren't really sure what he did. I am left with 3 perforations, largest being just over 1 centimeter, the smallest about .5 centimeter. There is some deformity apparent, left nostrils have shifted down, comunellea crooked & saddling. I am devastated about worsening symptoms and collapse. How easy is it to fix this? Who are the BEST doctors to be talking to? I want a permanent fix!!

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Hello tif123456789 - Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Revision rhinoplasty and reconstructive rhinoplasty make up 40% of my nasal surgery practice. The only type of insurance cases I perform are nasal reconstruction cases, otherwise my practice is 100% aesthetic. Septal perforation surgery is never easy. Period. You need to be seen by an expert in revision surgery. If you would like a second opinion, I would be happy to speak with you further at my office in Cherry Creek. Another option would be Dr. Fairbanks in Salt Lake City. When you consult with a revision rhinoplasty specialist make sure you have a clear idea of your goals for repeat surgery, and if you have a CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses, that would help. Realistic expectations are absolutely necessary and acceptance of the possibility of repeat failure goes without saying. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

If you are unsure what happened in your surgery, I suggest you call your original doctor and discuss this with him or her, and you can also ask to see the operative report ("op notes") that are dictated after every case.  This will help you (and a new surgeon, if you choose) to understand what transpired in the operative process. With this knowledge in hand, you can perhaps decide upon the best plan to correct the prior surgery.  I wish you the best!