What size of implant I should get? (Photo)

I'm torn between medium and small. I consulted with a surgeon and he recommended medium size , I read that most females do well with small implants. Is my chin recessed that much so it can benefit from medium size implant? Would love to hear your opinions! thanks!

Chin implant candidate

Chin implants are manufactured in a very large array of sizes and shapes.  A size medium from one manufacturer might be a size  large from another manufacturer.  It is important to look at the diagrams and measurements of each individual implant to understand what can be accomplished with the procedure.  In our practice, we use Mittleman pre-jowl chin implants manufactured by Implantech  for  the last 25 years with an excellent success rate.  The implants are composed of Silastic,  and  can be custom carved when necessary.  In our practice, the majority of patients receive a small or medium-size implant depending upon the degree of recessive chin.  The size and the shape of the implant is usually determined at the time of the examination and consultation, since the mandible and the implants are both 3-dimensional structures.  For more information, many examples, and our current price list for chin implants, please see the link and the video below  

Chin implant size

In person exam and discussion about your goals is necessary when deciding shape and size of implant. You should discuss these issues with your surgeon before proceeding with surgery. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

What size of implant I should get?

We can't really know without an exam but based only on your photo you have such a retruded chin I would bet a large implant will be the best. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Chin implant

The chin is significantly recessed.I would estimate that a large implant would be more appropriate.Computer imaging can help see the differences that medium or larger implants produce

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

What size of implant I should get?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is quite weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In cases like yours, I would use an anatomical size Medium placed through a small incision under the chin.

Hope this helps.