Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction and lift? (photos)

Based on my photo, would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction and is it possible for my insurance to cover it.

Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction and lift?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your picture, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform.  When patients undergo breast reduction surgery their breasts are "automatically" lifted as well.   “Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. Timing of surgery should be individualized based on the specific patient's  life circumstances and preferences.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. 
Best to check directly with your insurance company to see whether breast reduction surgery is a “covered” benefit with your specific policy. Then, given that every insurance company has different “criteria”, best to identify exactly what your specific insurance company considers criteria for approval. Generally, the more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.   This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. 
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

To adequately answer your questions more photographs and information such as your weight , height and current bra size is needed.Morrison MD

Breast reduction and insurance coverage

I believe you are a reasonable candidate for a breast reduction, and the breasts are lifted as part of the procedure.  Insurance coverage depends on many factors, such as the presence of functional indications for surgery, changes to the skin etc.  Companies vary according to their specific criteria, but in many cases, coverage is possible.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Yes, according to your photo, you are a great candidate for a breast lift/reduction.   I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Hi there ClumsySunshine!!!
You are certainly a great candidate for a lift, which is part of all breast reduction procedures. As to whether you want to reduce your amount of breast tissue as well is completely your decision. This depends on your desired outcome as well as your overall body shape. This is something that will be discussed at your consultation. The scars, recovery and often cost are all very similar it just depends on whether your want to have smaller breasts. Based on your photo, I would think a small reduction would be appropriate.
Breast lift and breast reduction patients are amongst the happiest patients in a plastic surgeons practice and I have no doubt you would do well from the surgery.
Best wishes

Breast reduction

You  might be a good candidate for a breast reduction but you would have to come in for consultation.  Whether or not you insurance will pay for it depends upon their criteria for approval.  Best of luck.

Breast reduction and lift

Reduction is inclusive of a lift. You appear to be an excellent candidate. Insurance coverage is highly likely so long as you can fulfill the prerequisites for conservative medical management. In NY, photographs alone are insufficient and a whole range of criteria must be satisfied.  See a board certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in navigating the insurance process.Best wishes,Dr KraftForest Hills Plastic Surgery

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it appears that you are a good candidate for a breast reduction.  You would have to check with your insurance to determine if they cover it.  A breast lift is automatically achieved when a breast reduction is performed.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Am I a good candidate for breast reduction surgery?

From your photo, it looks like you might be a good candidate for a breast reduction. Your plastic surgeon can assist you in determining your goals and checking if your insurance will cover the surgery. To assist in justifying the need for surgery, I send Insurance companies a photo of a front and side view, along with a letter of the medical symptoms patients may have because of their larger breasts. Often the company will respond within  three to four weeks as to whether or not they will be responsible for covering the surgical costs. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this helps and good luck.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon