I want to do a tummy tuck and I want to know if I need a full or just partial? (photos)

Hi. Is obvious, for me, that you need a full tummy tuck because you have separation "diastasis" on your abdominal muscles way above the belly button that need to be tighten,  and also excess skin that need to be pull down.

If you get a mini tummy tuck you will not get good results, and your upper Tummy will display a bulge.

Do I need a full or a mini?

It's hard to tell just from the pictures, but you could probably get away with a mini tummy tuck. I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in person for evaluation though. 

Thank you for your question and for sharing your pictures!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and photographs.Based on your pictures you are most likely a candidate for a full “tummy tuck”. The way we correct the rectus diastasis or “pooch” it's by plicating war sewing the muscles back together into the midline after being displaced laterally after pregnancy.The corrected the skin laxity that you had I would recommend not pursuing a mini- tummy tuck, as you can imagine keeping the eschar centrally located would not allow you to remove all the skin elasticity that you need for a good result.Liposuction is not a good idea in your specific case, as this will only worsen the amount of stretched skin, and usually tightening of the muscles underneath is not perform during this procedure.

It is best to discuss your concerns with a bore certify plastic surgeon were he can perform an examination and give you a better idea of the potential outcome while sharing your goals with this surgery.Using pictures will give us an “idea” of your problem however this not replace a physical examination.My advice to you is to do your homework, find someone who is board certified, look at before and after pictures, discuss your goals and ask for a scar regimen after your surgery to improve the quality of the scar.

Only meaningful tummy tuck is a full tummy tuck

Partial tummy tucks are only beneficial to a very few selective conditions.  Most patients need full tummy tuck. You do have major issues and full serious tummy tuck with liposuction is needed in your case. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Full tummy tuck candidate

Hi and thanks for your question and posted photos. You look like a good candidate for full tummy tuck with muscle repair, lipo in flanks can be done too to improve the waist. Mini tummy tuck is limited to thin patients with only fat tissue and skin below the navel. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

I would recommend a full tummy tuck to lower the scar far below your umbilicus and tigthen your abdominal muscles for a more contoured abdomen. 

Mini vs full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to assess your situation without examining you but in general, a mini-tummy tuck is rarely used because is does an inadequate job of tightening the abdominal skin. In your situation I would probably recommend a full tummy tuck.  Best of luck. 

I want to do a tummy tuck and I want to know if I need a full or just partial?

Thanks for including good photos with your question. A mini TT is seldom used as it does not allow the degree of tightening and contouring of the abdomen that gives the best results. You should look into the full TT which will remove the scar seen in your photo and also all of the skin and fat below the bellybutton, allow tightening of the central abdominal muscles and move the scar to a point low on your pubis, but longer than the current scar. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Full vs. mini

The advantages of a mini include a shorter scar.  You already have a high and long scar which would only be improved by lowering it at the same time as a tummy tuck.  You do have some excess skin and fat above your belly button and this could only be improved with either a full tummy tuck or a modified technique where your belly button is "floated" lower on your abdominal wall, after the upper abdomen is thinned and the upper muscle is tightened.  For the reasons stated above, you will likely need something more than a mini tummy tuck and perhaps something less than a full tummy tuck. The only way to give you exact advice is after a personal examination with a qualified plastic surgeon.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on the extent of your loose excess abdominal skin and position of your belly button, you appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  An in-person evaluation and exam would be required to confirm.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS