Forehead Indented and Deformed Scar- What Are My Options?

Over 15 years ago, I fell asleep w/an alcohol cloth on forehead, which caused a severe burn. First plastic surgeon performed a scar revision, placed dissolvable stitches, that evening it opened. Causing a deformed/indented scar. After several Surgeons@ failed scar revisions. I have 3 inch indented/deformed scar on forehead. I have not lost hope that one day a scar revision will improve the scar. Or should I lose HOPE! Some doctors say it can be my skin, doesn't heal properly. Any Advice?

Doctor Answers 3

Forehead depressed scar options include fat injections, the YoungVolumizer, and further scar revision

Photos are definitely helpful.  But in general, I would consider fat grafting under the indented part or the YoungVolumizer, a breakthrough volumizing procedure. These procedures will help volumize the indentation to improve the level of the scar. Excision could be the best option in some parts of your scar to improve the appearance. 

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

Depressed scar

Without seeing the scar, it is difficult to comment.  Sometimes depressions are softened with filler material.  This may help improve the appearance.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Forehead deformities can often be improved.


Your situation does sound difficult, but I wouldn't give up.  A technique called tissue expansion can sometimes improve big problems like this.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.