What can be done for this strange under eye puffiness? (Photo)

Hi, About 3 years ago I had a cheek lift and lower blepharoplasty done, after a 50 lb rapid loss of weight. Ever since, my right lower lid has retained what looks like swelling, some days it's very pronounced. When I squint, there is soft tissue that bulges out at and just beneath the corner of my eye. Will a simple lower blepharoplasty address this? Or will I need a different procedure? What happened during or after surgery that the eye is showing this oddity?

Doctor Answers 4

Puffiness after Cheek Lift and Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The most likely explanation is that there is still some prominence of the lateral fat pad of the lower eyelid.  Follow up with your surgeon so they can evaluate your situation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Bag and puffiness under eyelid after having eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is most likely that making a small incision in this region and "debulking" the tissue would be beneficial.  As far as the fluctuating swelling goes, this is something that is unlikely to resolve with surgery alone.

If this turns our to be related only to swelling, then injecting the region with hyaluronidase may also be useful.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

An in-person examination would be necessary to determine the cause of your under-eye puffiness.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This could be a prominent lateral orbital fat pad, or redundant skin, or fluid retention, or a combination of these. Best to consult your surgeon or another reputable facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Lateral lower lid fullness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
could result from your prior procedure or could reflect excess fat around your eye ball.  You need to see a surgeon (preferably your previous surgeon) to be evaluated for what it is then a plan to address it could be made and you can decide if you want to do it or not.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.