Is it possible to get saline implants placed under the muscle?

is it possible to get them underneath the muscle? Also do I need to get them redone every 10-13 years?

Saline breast implants may be placed beneath the muscle

Thank you for your question.  Yes saline breast implants are frequently placed beneath the chest muscle in a procedure called a sub-muscular breast augmentation.  Breast implants, saline or silicone do not need to be replaced at 10 years if there is no problem.  Problems that might require replacement 10 years would include capsular contraction, rupture, deflation of the saline implant, or displacement of the implant.

If your implants are fine with no problems a 10 years there is no need to replace them.

Saline implants under the muscle

Yes, saline implants can be placed under the muscle. The disadvantage of saline implants is leakage. The cohesive textured silicone gel do not leak. The saline implants do not have to be replaced every 10 to 13 years unless there is a complication.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants are usually placed behind muscle

Saline implants are placed behind muscle to reduce their rippling.  Revision or replacement is only done in case of a problem like deflation or encapsulation.  Thus they may or may not need to be replaced in 10 years

Vasdev Rai, MD

Saline Implant Breast Augmentation Under the Muscle

Thank you for your question. Saline implants are not only possible under the muscle but recommended in most cases. There is no set time frame on replacing saline or silicone implants. Nothing artificial can last forever in our bodies, but unless there is a complication a revision is not neccassary.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Possible to get saline implants placed under the muscle?

It is possible to place either saline or silicone gel implants under the muscle. 

There is a myth that implants will last only 10 years. There is no valid scientific data to support that statement. You should realize that no one can guarantee the life cycle of an implant, that it may not last forever and it may not be a one-time surgery. Implants do not need to be replaced unless a problem occurs. There is no expiration date on breast implants. I have personally seen some patients who have had implants in for over thirty years and the implants are still intact. The newer generation of current implants has been improved. The implant manufacturers do have limited warranties on the implants.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants are possible, but not recommended

Thanks for your question. Saline was used once there was a scare and noted problems with silicone implants that were made 20 years ago. Once the newer generation silicone implant was introduced over a decade ago, it became clear that the newer silicone implant looked and felt more natural than saline. Data shows that there is a higher rate of reoperation for saline implants either due to deflation, rippling or contracture. I would strongly encourage anyone considering implants to use silicone. It is simply a better implant with a better safety profile. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Saline Implants Under the Muscle?

Saline implants are not only possible under the muscle, but should definitely be placed under the muscle in most people. This is because the average person wanting implants is relatively thin. This means that the ripples and wrinkles in the saline implants will show through unless covered by muscle. The ten-year number is basically a myth. Based on the companies statistics at around 10 years a small percentage of implants starts to fail. In general if you are happy with the saline implant, the bottom line is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have seen saline implants in place for 25 years.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The majority of all implants, saline or not, are placed under the muscle. They need to be replaced or altered whenever the need arises. That revision surgery is not done based on a specific amount of time passing.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Saline implants placed under the muscle

Yes, saline implants can be placed under the muscle. Both saline and silicone gel implants can be placed under the muscle. This minimizes the amount of rippling that be caused by saline implants and allows for a more natural appearance. Almost all of my patients undergo breast augmentation surgery using this approach.

Saline Implants

It is possible to place saline implants under the muscle. Infact saline implants are commonly placed under the muscle.