Would It Be Possible for Me to Resume to Work 3 Days After Labiaplasty if It's Done Under Local Anesthesia?

Resume to Work After Labiaplasty

This is a good question regarding the recovery period after labiaplasty which has become one of the rapidly growing cosmetic procedures in America.  However, the type of anesthesia does not really influence the recovery.  So if it is done under local anesthesia only or with IV sedation, the recovery is more related to the technique used and the skill of the plastic surgeon.  Most patients in our practice return to non-strenuous work around 3 days.  However, if you do anything strenuous or you are on your feet all day like waiting tables or retail, then I would try to take a week off from work instead.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Yes, most of my patients are already back to work by the third day after surgery.  Most of my patients don't even require any pain meds after the first day.  However, you should check with your surgeon and follow their recommendation.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Dear Kiel,

Thank you for your question.  Most of my patients have their surgery on Thurs/Friday and return to work the following Monday if they do not have a strenuous job. You will need to wear a pad and avoid putting pressure direction on the labia.  Using a cushion with a hollow area, such as a 'hemorrhoid cushion' will be helpful.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Working 3 days after labiaplasty

can be done whether your procedure is under general or local.  But you may still have some pains and you cannot really put a lot of pressure on the area so if you have to sit, get a hemorrhoid cushion.  Finally, you cannot be doing anything strenuous as it could lead to bleeding.  So can it be done?  Yes.  But you should have the blessings of your surgeon before doing so.

Curtis Wong, MD

Resume work after labiaplasty

Almost all my patients return to work within three days after a labiaplasty if the work is not too strenuous and does not involve heavy physical work.  Local anesthesia is not a factor in returning to work.  The amount of pain and discomfort is directly related to the type of labiaplasty and the skills of the surgeon. 

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Recovery

I do allow patients to return to work within 2 or 3 days after their labialplasty procedure.  I don't change my recommendations based on the type of anesthesia. I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  Ice or cool pack applied to the area for the first 24 hours can help tremendously with swelling and discomfort.

If your workplace requires heavy physical work, you may want to take more than 2-3 days off depending on how you feel and your daily work requirement.

Dr Lori Warren

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

Would It Be Possible for Me to Resume to Work 3 Days After Labiaplasty if It's Done Under Local Anesthesia

Thank you for your question. If your work does not require much activities and movement then you can return to work. Follow your surgeon's recommendations.  Best wishes.   

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

3 days is typical

Yes, it is possible to resume work after just having 3 days off. This is typical for my patients.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Recovery after labiaplasty - Los Angeles

Labiaplasty requires some downtime, but this all depends on how complex the surgery is. I have had patients return to work very early vs others who required over one week of recovery. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Return to work 3 days post labiaplasty.

Depending on your job, you may return to work in three days.  Post-procedure you will have swelling, bruising and discomfort.  Much of the swelling will probably be better by the third day.  If your job does not require manual labor, it is possible for you to return to work.

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS