Is it possible for my breasts to still grow, particularly up under my areola? (Photo)

I am 19 years old, and I am self conscious about my breasts. My areolas sit very low, and to me the area up under my areola appears "underdeveloped." I want to know if that area will eventually round out and get larger. If not, I will strongly consider breast augmentation.

Breast development

You are still developing at age 19. Your  breast is perfectly  normal for your age and I suspect that it  will fill out . Although  you might  wish to have larger breasts, your  breast shape is aesthetically  excellent.

Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

You may be "meant" to be this way

Although your breasts will continue to change with age, you may never get that fullness in the upper pole that you want. It looks like your breasts are "meant" to be this way. If you want a rounder look, breast implants can help.

Changes in Your Breasts & What Can be Done

Breast development and changes in the breasts can go on throughout your lifetime. Usually these continuing changes are brought about by fluctuations in your hormones such as puberty, pregnancy, menopause, and changes in birth control or hormonal supplements. Unfortunately those changes are not predictable and can even be different for different situations in the same person.

The likelihood of your problem correcting itself is very unlikely. You have a constriction of the lower pole of the breast causing the nipple to be pulled down, decreasing the distance from the nipple to the fold. Usually that constriction consists of more fibrous tissue, and short of surgery, it is not likely to soften up and loosen.

I would encourage you to go ahead with looking into augmentation if it bothers you that much. Just be smart and do your homework before you consult and be sure the surgeon you choose is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. Good luck with your procedure!

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

Your breasts are asymmetrical, the nipples are pointing down and out and you have a wide gap with minimal cleavage. I recommend a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without implants. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result. A frequent cause of dissatisfaction is not performing a simultaneous lift when needed. If you are satisfied with the volume of your breasts then you do not need implants. If you want more volume then implants can be added but at your age only saline are available.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast growth after 19 years of age

Thank you for your question.  The problem that you describe is a matter of breast development which is asymmetrical.  It is unlikely that this will change with further age.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for your options.

Most breast development

occurs during adolescence and the only changes you will see are with weight gains and pregnancy.  See a local plastic surgeon for information about what an implant can do for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Most likely no, The inferior quadrants are genetically deficient. So only fat grafts with rigotomies or implants or both can improve.. 

Breast shape change

If you are at adult size, and have regular menstrual cycles, it is unlikely that your breast will grow significantly.

Is it possible for my breasts to still grow.

Actually your breast can still grow or develop, for some up to age 22 or a bit longer. Breasts will also change with pregnancy, a time when the tissue truly matures. Your breast as is looks quite normal and fine. Your inherited shape is such that the nipple to the fold distance is short as you will see so many like you on this site. An implant can round out the lower portion of the breast and push the fold lower but do take your time to see how things sort out.

A little bit more would be a ........ little bit more

Once you've concluded puberty:  google the signs of puberty ending (usually when your shoe size stops changing, etc) you've probably reached a stable breast size.  This could change with pregnancy and weight fluctuations, but from a developmental standpoint, you're probably there.

From that point onward, if you prefer to add volume to your breasts, then you can do so.  A little volume will make you a little bigger.  A lot of volume will make you a lot bigger.

Regarding the lower pole volume, this is a great indication to consider anatomic/shaped implants.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon