How To Find an Experienced Surgeon to Repair Strechted Earlobes?

my son had his ears gauged about 4 years ago. they are quite large. He would now like them repaired and I need to find someone that has experience in doing this, where do I start looking?

Doctor Answers 10

Finding a surgeon for stretched earlobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This happens all the time. Holes can stretch over time, or are stretched after trauma, (kids pulling on earrings). We repair these holes often under local anesthesia in the office. Give your local facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon a call.

Earlobe gauge repairs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Call a few plastic surgeons in your area.  Any good plastic surgeon can accomplish the repair, but you will find that the price varies quite a bit.  There are not many procedures where it is okay to shop price, but this is one exception. You should be able to get it done for 250 to $350 per side.  Good luck!

A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to do this procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Understanding how to do this type of reconstruction is a routine part of  plastic surgery training.  Make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Stretched ear lobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any board certified plastic surgeon should be able to help you with this repair. This is essentially a ear lobe reconstruction.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon

Stretched earlobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several techniques used to close earlobes distorted by age or large gauge piercings.  Most board-certified plastic surgeons should be able to perform the repair.  It does not require specialized training.


Ear lobe repair following the us of gauges

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The repair of a enlarged earlobe due to gauges can be difficult to repair.    There are many different plastic surgical techniques that can be performed to correct this problem.   Most involve removing the excess and over stretched earlobe skin and performing a repair.  Most plastic surgeons with experience in ear lobe repair will be able to perform this  procedure for you.  I have included a video on the procedure in general

Repair of Stretched Earlobes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Check with the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and/or  and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for appropriate training and credentials.  Then, make sure you see lots of examples of the surgeons work in pictures ( better yet meet with patients who have had similar procedures).

Best wishes.

Earlobe Gauge Repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is something that can be successfully performed.  Look for a surgeon who performs torn earlobe repair or stretched earlobe repair.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Many facial plastic and general plastic surgeons will be able to assist you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Earlobe surgery is so very common, that most surgeons do not even bother to market for it.  This may lead you to think they do not offer the service.  If you are not sure who to go to in your area, consider asking your family doctor for a referral.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Ear repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ear gauges stretch the ear lobes and can make it difficult to repair. I have done a number of these. I usually have patients remove the gauges for 6-8 weeks before  repairing the ears.  Good luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.