Are you for or against ADM or Seri Scaffold in an initial breast lift surgery without implants; Please advise? (Photo)

if ADM or more recently Seri Scaffold has been used in correcting implants complications and supporting breast skin. As a surgeon, how do you feel about its use in supporting (weak breast ligaments and skin that cause ptosis) in breast lift procedures without implants? why or why not would advocate its use in such cases? Many thanks to all the surgeons that responded to my questions, present and previous.

Internal support without ADM or Seri Scaffold

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the need for implants.Artificial material such as ADM or Seri Scaffold are not required since you have enough excess skin to provide internal support.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

ADM for breast lifts

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• Yours is a very thoughtful question,
  • The reason few surgeons would want to use it for an initial breast lift or augmentation is the cost
  • And that ADM and scaffolds have their own risks, including seromas and increased poor healing,
  • Most women after a breast lift or augmentation will have good resulta,
  • For someone with very damaged skin or tissues known to be weak (for instance Ehlers-Danlos or other collagen disorders, it would be considered but otherwise
  • ADM and scaffolds are used when results are not good - making the risk and cost more worthwhile.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

ADM ?

Hi Aurora2121,  For A breast lift with or without implants I do not feel ADM is indicated or necessary.  A breast lift involves removal of excess skin and reshaping the breast to elevate it into a more youthful position.  Some techniques will reposition the drooping tissue from the lower part of the breast to the upper part to give more fullness.  ADM is used most often to correct complications from breast implants or during breast reconstruction.  It is very costly so for cosmetic cases I only use it when absolutely necessary. A more detailed discussion about breast lifts would be during a consultation. Thank you for the question.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Not normally.

I would echo the majority of responses to this question. The use of an ADM or Seri-Scaffold is very unlikely to be needed for an initial breast lift without implants. These materials are most commonly used for revision surgeries when the native tissues (capsule and breast tissue) are somehow inadequate and unable to support a breast implant. You may encounter these circumstances after massive weight loss as well which would be a reason to use these materials with an implant for an initial surgery.

Are you for or against ADM or Seri Scaffold in an initial breast lift surgery without implants; Please advise

No, but the indications are more important than just to use the ACDM.. Best to discuss with your surgeon... 

Internal suturing is the key to breast lift results

No real need for the use of ADM in your particular situation.  I believe that internal suturing is the key to a long term result with a vertical mastopexy.  I try not to rely in the skin since this is the defective material in the first place.  

More Answers To Same Question

Looks pretty decisive: no such thing as an 'internal lift' to decrease or eliminate external incisions using sutures, strings, ADMs or the newest Seri.  Mastopexy is a skin surgery whose scarring is dictated by the amount of excess skin of your breast.  Based on a single photo, yours would be best treated with an anchor pattern.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Are you for or against ADM or Seri Scaffold in an initial breast lift surgery without implants

I have never used these materials in my breast lift procedures, either with or without implants.  The only indication may be in a revision surgery or possibly in some massive weight loss patients.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

ADM is probably not indicated in first time breast surgery.

The benefits of these materials is argumentative at present. I really can't think of a good reason to use this expensive material and its associated complications in the first time breast procedure.

Breast lift with ADM or Seri

In general, there is very little need for these products in primary augmentation and lifting.  The main indication if for these scaffolds is revision surgery where implants need to be lifted along with the breasts.