Does my vaginal opening look normal? (Photo)

I never really looked at all this before my baby. I also suffered a 4th degree tear that was successfully repaired after childbirth. I was only offered a pelvic floor therapist 2 years PP. I can see this weird tissue looking stuff at the opening. Is this normal?

Vaginal Reconstruction Options

Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area.  This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible.  The lining of the vagina can be  reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter  of the canal. The muscle ring , pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone  in this area.  Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

Normal for history of perineal tear

Your anatomy appears normal for a patient with a history of perineal trauma. The vaginal opening can be tightened with a surgical procedure called a perineoplasty. This will prevent any visibility of the vaginal opening and will also improve sexual functioning in many women and for their partners as well. The tissue protruding is best evaluated by GYN exam, but it may be a remnant of the hymenal ring or additional vaginal tissue. It can also be prolapse (protrusion) of adjacent structures so an exam is best.

Normal vaginas

vary considerably and yours certainly falls into the normal category, even after having your 4th degree tear repaired.  Its common to have some 'tags' or other things arise and they can easily be removed in the office under local.  As for your photo, I don't see anything that would be considered abnormal.

Curtis Wong, MD

Does my vaginal opening look normal?

Thank you for your question and photographs. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal.  The tissue that you are describing appears to be remnants of your hymenal ring which is normal but can be treated with a small office procedure if they cause you issue. 

What are these wierd pieces of tissue prolapsing from my vaginal opening after childbirth- Hymenal remnants?

Hello!  It is not unusual for various portions of your "hymenal ring" to "prolapse" out of the vaginal opening after the trauma of childbirth. If it doesn't bother you, no need to bother it! If you are concerned, ask your Ob/Gyn to evaluate it, or see an experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon in your area if you wish a "cosmetic" revision.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Weird tissue?

It is difficult to say from your photo. I have magnified it on my screen and I do not see anything unusual. Ask your OBGYN for an exam/appraisal. Too bad about the fourth degree.