Is it possible to make my giant nose way smaller?

I have a Persian nose. My nose is crooked, one side curves outward while the other side is round. From the side it gets worse. It sticks out and is just BIG in size. I don't know how to upload a photo but i actually got the habit of squeezing it and pressing down on it a bit and now it looks more round and chubby and I'm really sad I cry every time I look at it or have to talk about it! Could a nose job just completely change the look of my nose to make it look like a regular small nose?

Rhinoplasty for the large Persian nose ?

your nose can be made much smaller with a better shape. The best way to advise you is to see several very experienced rhinoplasty surgeons who do many Persian noses and look at their results. Choose one who does natural looking noses  and not the order done look. 

Of Course! - Closed Rhinoplasty is the way!

Of course!  And you should chose a surgeon who does CLOSED (SCARLESS) rhinoplasty.  That is the method of choice for reductive (to make a nose smaller) surgery for the nose.  It involves all incisions on the inside of the nose with NO EXTERNAL CUTS (so no external scar).  Open rhinoplasty has fallen favor in the USA over the last several decades but CLOSED SCARLESS rhinoplasty is the optimal method for reductive rhinoplasty.  Consult with a nose surgeon who performs exclusively rhinoplasty as his career.  As they say, "Don't get a nosejob from a boob guy!"

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A full set of photographs of the face are required to make a determination about what can be accomplished with a surgical procedure such as a rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery. The nose can be straightened, the dorsal hump removed and  the projection can be decreased. For more information and many  before and after examples, please see the link and the video below

Make My Giant Nose Smaller

I frequently see Persian people for ethnic rhinoplasty. While I cannot generalize because every nose is different decreasing the size and improving the definition and refinement of the nose is a very common request. See an experienced surgeon who has experience with this ethnic type of nose.

It certainly is possible to make a nose much smaller...

... but I need photos to determine how much change is possible.

You should also understand that making a nose substantially smaller requires advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to click on the "Web reference" link, and read the section on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

A large nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

I usually make a morph when I'm answering questions like this, but you didn't submit photos. At the *very* bottom of the Web reference page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or an otolaryngologist that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, without photographs it is difficult to give you a very accurate opinion. The best thing for you to do is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty’s to perform a nasal examination and give you an accurate, credible opinion. Based on your question and description, yes a rhinoplasty can change the size an appearance of your nose.  You may benefit from a rhinoplasty to straighten and thin out the bridge of your nose and possibly a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon