Will a doctor in the U.S. be willing to see a patient that had surgery out of the country?

If so how much will a follow up visit cost?

International patients are welcome

I have many international patients so I have no problem seeing patients who have had surgery abroad and returned to the states. The charge for a routine office visit is $100.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Yes

Several surgeons would be glad to see you. Be prepared for charges for consults, follow up visits, procedures etc. you should have your records from your surgery available.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Complications from surgery done out of the country.

1. I frequently see patients who had cosmetic surgery outside the country and are unhappy with results.
  2. They email my office to describe the problem and send before/after photos.
  3. I can then say if I can help them and how much the charge is likely to be.
  4. CAll around to find someone in your area with a similar approach.
  5. If the problem is urgent - fever, drainage, open wound - call today or go to your nearest emergency room.

Yes, our office will see patients who have had surgery done elsewhere, including outside of the United States. Consultation and supply fees may apply. Best wishes

Since I practice in MIami for over 35 years I feel very qualified to respond to this "ongoing" issue. First, out of country cosmetic surgery is very risky because of the "lack" of appropriate good follow up care. Complications occur and flying can add to these issues. There are so numerous times when I receive a call from Miami International Airport from a surgical patient who arrive on US soil with infected/open/draining/wounds. I try to see these patients but than I assume medical/surgical responsibility for issues I did not cause. The $$$s needed to repair these issues is the second item. Second, these patients must understand and realize medical care is a privilege that has an expense. Going out of country to receive "cheaper" care/surgery than having an issue back in US can only increase the costs. The patient is responsible for these increased costs. Today, if I am seeing this type of patient I charge an up front fee to be seen and all further costs from wound care to surgery is also paid for in advance. Third, repairing of these issues could take many operations is achieve an acceptable result. Thus, if planning out of country surgery, buyer beware! The Cheap can ultimately become "EXPENSIVE"!!!!

Surgery ouside the country

Not many surgeons want to deal with any complications, theirs or others. It is very difficult to deal with complications, specially when we do not know what was done during the first surgery.
Having surgery abroad, and complications, then the results can be not ideal.

The answer is that you can  probably find someone, but remember the surgeon's fees include post op followup and care. Since the US surgeon did not receive that fee any costs will probably be quite high to compensate the surgeon for their time, skills, and knowledge.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Yes, it is possible

Yes, but they will charge you a fee  since you went out of the country for surgery. It may cost several hundred dollars for an office visit  and more should you need any treatment. Most offices will have you pay something upfront to be seen. Some doctors will be mad that you went out of town for surgery so be prepared. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Surgery outside the country

I have certainly seen many patients who have had surgery outside the country. However, there are many factors involved with these types of situations. If you have had recent surgery and are looking to have routine post-operative care, then a simple office visit would apply. If there is a complication such as an infection, bleeding, wound healing problems you may have a difficult time finding a surgeon wanting to "take on" another surgeon's problems. In these cases I would want to speak with the surgeon who performed the surgery to better understand what happened. In addition, the office visit fee may increase according to the complexity of the problem.

Surgery

I believe there are some Dr's in the US that will accept to help you after a surgical procedure out of the country, the key is to talk to them before you have the actual surgery.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon