Could I get scarred if I have a tattoo removed from the forearm? (Photo)

Scarring from Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. Scarring is always a possiblilty when removing a tattoo, following the post care carefully will reduce your risk of scarring. Speak with your provider about your concerns. Your tattoo coloring and skin type is great for an effective removal.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Recommend Picosure Laser to remove your tattoo

My recommendation is to learn about the Picosure laser. This revolutionary new laser will permanently remove your tattoo while not harming the surrounding tissue. Consult with your doctor to find out if this is the best option for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Can I get burns from laser tattoo removal

Short answer, yes. But more than that, what all lasers and light treatments do is get attracted to color. With tattoos obviously, there is a great deal of color in the skin. The technician needs to properly set the machine to treat you with a minimal amount of burning with a maximum amount of treatment. This is a fine line parameter. Many people will experience a crusting after a laser tattoo removal. This is often the surfacing of the ink. It's not necessarily a burn, but actual ink being heated and removed through the skin. It will lightly crust and rub off after a few days, and then you'll see a lightening in that area.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Tattoo Removal

Tattoo removal is a delicate process.  The problem with removing some tattoos by laser is that some inks cause an inflammatory reaction at being lasered.  The new lasers are designed for each color and can be adjusted to different settings to minimize any chance of scarring.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in lasers and tattoo removal.