Rhinoplasty swelling. Any suggestions?

I'm 7 weeks post op and I'm really worried because my nose isn't as small as i was hoping it would be. the tip looks bulbous and swollen. and my nose itself just looks puffy and big. is there something I could have done that made it swell up so much? when will all the swelling go down

Thank you for your question. Your nose may appear larger than you hoped due to the swelling and bruising that most patients continue to experience past the 7 weeks post op mark and up to 4-6 months post op. Please consult with your board certified facial surgeon to review the best recovery practices.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feel nose is too swollen 7 weeks post rhinoplasty

It sounds like your frustrated with the persistent swelling however it takes up to a year for the swelling to resolve completely , most resolving however within the first few months.  Swelling persists the longest in the area of the tip and tends to be more prolonged in the tip if you have had an external vs endonasal rhinoplasty.  Discuss this with your surgeon pointing out specific areas of the nose that you are concerned about.  Later in the course of healing ie after 6 months , localized areas of swelling if related to scar tissue formation may be modified with injection of a steroid such as triamcinolone.

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. Your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. You probably still have some swelling which can cause the appearance of unevenness. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nose swelling

Nasal swelling can persist for a year or longer. You are only 7 weeks out, and have to be patient with the results. Best of luck.

Rhinoplasty swelling

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and to see some asymmetries in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase.  Best of Luck. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

You are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD