Can anyone tell me good silicone cream that I can buy for a mini facial lift?

I m having surgery in another country and I need to buy silicone base cream for face. I need name brands not sure what to buy. Also if you have any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Mini-Facelift Scar Care

The face heals well and scars well. Most over-the-counter scar creams work well. Use it daily for at least 6 months.

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. I place my patients on biocornyium post-op.  The goal for any facelift should be no visible scar.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Facelift scars heal well with and without scar creams

Hi navy girl.  I have had good results with several scar treatments, including ScarGuard, SkinMedica scar cream, and Silagen. SkinMedica's product contains growth factors which makes it different from the other scar creams.  Other options include Kelocote and Cimeosil.  Interestingly enough, in my experience, patients that do not use scar treatments after mini-facelifts have excellent scars that are barely perceptible. It is imperative that the scars be protected early on from sun exposure, not be under tension, have minimally reactive sutures used for closure, etc.  Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

There are a wide variety of silicone based scar fading creams, which are the most proven products for preventing and minimizing scars. Several name brands include Scarfade, Kelocote and Cimeosil. For years Mederma did not contain silicone, but I have seen it in at least one version of the product recently.

Hope this helps- best of luck with your facelift procedure!

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Out of the Country for Plastic Surgery

It is important to choose a highly skilled and experienced surgeon to match your #facelift goals and skin type with the appropriate surgical techniques.
Also, its best to work with a #board #certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States.

Scarguard or biocorneum

I usually recomdn that my patients use medical creams such as scarguard or biocorneum. I think they make the redness go away faster

all the best

Michael E. Kelly, MD

A Word Of Warning About Surgery Overseas

Please do your homework and make sure you are going to a reputable surgeon who operates in a reputable facility! As a doctor, my first and foremost concern is for the well being of patients, so please be careful. While there are some excellent surgeons in other countries, there are different checks and balances overseas that don't just pertain to surgeons, but to the facilities in which they operate. Is the surgeon board certified (or something equivalent)? Is the facility inspected regularly? Are the autoclaves (which sterilize the instruments) tested? Is the anesthesiologist board certified (or the equivalent)? Will you be there long enough to have proper followup if you have a complication? Have you read the surgeons reviews? Have you look at before and after pictures? What is the surgeon's education? Please be careful!

In regard to topical silicone scar cream, I find that Silagen works well. Yet I wonder why you are being asked to buy this before your surgery, and why is the surgeon not recommending a specific brand? Please understand that I sound protective because I have done many revision surgeries of all types (rhinoplasty, face lift, neck lift, breast augmentation/reduction, tummy tuck) when patients have had surgeries overseas and did not like the results. For the patients who usually seek surgery in another country to save money, it can actually end up costing them money because revisionary surgery can be expensive, and the patient needs to recover from two surgeries (not just one), taking time off work, etc. 

Barry M. Weintraub, MD, FACS

Silicone cream for use after a face lift.

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

I tell my patients to use over-the-counter silicone strips called Scar fade if their scars thicken. Usually after a face lift, healing takes time as it always does but the final scar turn out well, with no special creams.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Post surgery scar care

Thanks for your question.  Many patients are interested in topical scar care after surgery.  I silicone-based topical products have the most evidence in terms of efficacy.  The face tends to heal very well if the scars are well-placed and under no tension. I recommend Biocorneum or New Gel.  Both are good products and available through physician offices and online.  It's important to discuss these issues and reocmmendations with your surgeon prior to surgery.  Good luck.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Silicone base cream

Hi, we commonly have patients use ScarFade and a new cream is Silagen; both show great results for minimizing scar widening, hypertrophy, or keloid.

Sapna A. Patel, MD