What Should I Do if I have Fluid Retention Around Belly Button 2 Years Post-Op Liposuction?

45 year old male. got a liposuction 2 years ago but since then I have noticed there is an area which feels and looks a bit inflamed, when i touch it, it feels very soft like water or something like that Recently I sarted using a compression garment and put a plastic small tube the size of a pencil to try to mark that area in the midle of my stomag after that I noticed the liquid has moved to my belly botton. It isnt sore and not that big but I wonder if I have to go to de doctor Thanks

Doctor Answers 4

What Should I Do if I have Fluid Retention Around Belly Button 2 Years Post-Op Lipo?Answer:

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Another possibility that long after surgery is a seroma, or persistent fluid collection. This can be evaluated by ultrasound or… by having your doctor stick it with a small needle and see if any fluid comes out….Might want to start with the ultrasound!!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Fluid collection following liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your description of your problem, I believe you may have a seroma or a liquified hematoma.  Either is a collection of fluid that can develop following liposuction.   In most cases, these are resorbed (absorbed) by the body.  Occasionally, a fibrous capsule forms around the fluid collection and "locks" it in place so that it can persist for many months or even years.  A seroma or liquified hematoma can be diagnoses with ultrasound, CAT scan or surgical exploration.  If it is is present, it can be removed by needle aspiration or surgical exploration.   Your plastic surgeon should be able to take of this. 

Vincent J. Perrotta, MD
Salisbury Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Complication?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

It is hard to know exactly what was going on without a in person exam.

Generally speaking however, at this stage (2  years after surgery)  what you are experiencing is related to a long-lasting suture (if this was used),  or unhealthy tissue ( fat necrosis).  Either way, it would behoove you to be seen by your plastic surgeon;  both of these issues can be surgically corrected.

I hope this helps.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As already mentioned you may have a collection of fluid what is referred to as a seroma.  Another possibility would be an umbilical hernia.  Your best bet would be to have a complete examination by your surgeon.  He will be able to make the correct diagnosis and advice you on what treatment is required.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.