How Much Fluid Should Be Draining in a Day in Order for my Jp Drains to Be Taken Out?

two children twenties not over weight (just extra skin) good shape

Breast Reconstruction

Different surgeons have different criteria, with that being  said, we use less than 20cc/drain/24 hours and a drain can be removed.  If two drains, we pull the highest drain on a TT and then the second one after the same criteria.

Breast Reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Drain output prior to removal

Every surgeon has their own protocol, but I like to wait until the drains are putting out less than 20 cc/day x 2 consecutive days before pulling out the drains. This is because the drain output can go up and down, and I like to be sure that the fluid collection is truly disappearing before pulling the drains. It is no fun for the patient to have to deal with a fluid collection (seroma), as this can feel like an uncomfortable water balloon that needs to be regularly drained with a needle. 

Drain output prior to removal

When to remove drains

The best person to answer this is the plastic surgeon who did your surgery.

Assuming these drains are in following implant based breast reconstruction, my rule is less than 30mls/day for 2 days in a row.

If we are talking about the tummy drain following a TRAM flap, then it is just as soon as it reaches less than 30 mls/day.

I hope this helps

When to remove drains

I hope this helps

Drain Output after Plastic Surgery: How much is too much

Drains are tubes placed in an operative bed which are usually closed suction systems which help to remove fluid normally secreted by the body in the immediate healing process. The volume usually accepted for drain removal is 30 cc per day for two consecutive days, though this can be variable depending on drain location. I hope this helps. Dr. Trussler

Drain removal after surgery

Drains are placed after many operations in order to prevent any fluid from accummulating under the tissues...and prevent a seroma formation. As a general rule, drains can be removed once the output has fallen below 25 cc in a 24 hour period. However, this frequently depends on the procedure being performed as well as any particular issues associated with the patient. In some cases, I will leave them in longer.

Drain removal after surgery

Drain removal

I also like to wait until the output is below 25 cc in a 24 hour period.  Don't try to fake that as getting the drains out early increases the seroma risk and the need to be poked with needles to drain the fluid.

Drain removal

When to take drains out

My habit is to remove JP drains when the output is less than 25-30ccs in a 24 hour period. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

When to take drains out

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Drainage after breast reconstruction

The amount of drainage that determines you can take the drain out varies from surgeon.  A popular mark used by many surgeons is 30 cc in 24 hours.  This does not guarantee that you won't form a seroma, but it is a good landmark.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Drainage after breast reconstruction

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS