I must have these 40 year old leaking silicon implants removed. Would you have new Implants done or a Lift? (photos)

I can have new implants or a lift but not both because of the money. My insurance is paying for the removal and the capsulectomy. I am 60 years old. Which would be best? One doctor told me I have enough breast tissue to fill a small "B" cup. I am 5'6" and 156lbs. I don't want to look I proportional. He also gave me a quote for $7k appx to do the lift or implants. That seems high with insurance also What seems to be the best option and do you think the price is fair?

Removal of Leaking Silicone Implants?

You are fortunate that your insurance company is paying for the implant removal and capsulectomy. Most insurance companies today will not pay for complications of anything that was originally a cosmetic procedure. Removal of the implants should ideally be performed as an "En Bloc" capsulectomy to minimize the potential of spillage of the leaking gel into your tissues. A breast lift would be a more appropriate operation for your situation, but it will be a high risk operation if your implants are on top of the muscle (as they commonly were from that time period). Given the complexity of the surgery that price is more than fair. 

Capsulectomy for ruptured silicone implants

Thanks for your question(s)! I would recommend full capsulectomy and implant removal. Sometimes implant companies pay for this portion of the procedure, but you are correctly informed that they wouldn't (or honestly shouldn't) pay for any cosmetic procedures afterword. 

I think a lift would give the best looking result without clothes on. However, most of us spend 99% of our days clothed. Perhaps the best result for you, would be to keep your proportions the same and replace the implants instead of the lift. You also have the option of replacing the missing implant volume with fat grafting. Instead of paying the cost of an implant you would pay for liposuction and get some added benefit there. 

7k is an average price for a straight breast lift, but slightly high for straight augmentation (especially if using saline implants). Something to consider: many surgery centers give a discount to patients for the second procedure if the procedure is insurance or cosmetic. With that in mind, both prices seem slightly high to me. 

If price is still an issue there are two training programs in Dallas that might consider your case for discounted rates. The are through Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute and University of Texas Southwestern. 

I must have these 40 year old leaking silicon implants removed. Would you have new Implants done or a Lift

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend breast implant removal with or without a new implants, capsulectomies and a beast lift.  The price is very reasonable.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best Wishes

Best option for revisionary breast surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history and photographs, I think that the primary operation indicated is breast implant removal, capsulectomy, and breast lifting.  A second stage breast augmentation can be performed (more safely than doing everything in one stage), if you choose, down the line.  Costs seem reasonable.  You may find the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Lift vs implants

Hi there!  I can't comment on the price question as that varies widely by region.  With regards to your first question, I feel that based on your photos, the lift component is most critical for you to achieve a youthful, perky shape.  My suggestion would be to remove the implants and capsules and lift what you naturally have left.  You will feel better having your old, and (I assume) ruptured and encapsulated implants out of your body, and the lift will have a rejuvenating and slimming effect.  In the future, you would have the option to put in smaller implants or have upper breast fat grafting to improve your volume. Normally I would recommend simultaneous fat grafting, but if this is not in your budget, there is no rush.  Ultimately you need to make this decision after having a final discussion with your surgeon, but I hope my opinion gives you some food for thought. 

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Reduction with explant

I would recommend removal of implants, capsulectomy limited, and lift/reduction without reimplantation. Drains for a week with antibiotics. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Implants or Lift

Hi.  Certainly removing the old implants and capsules is the priority.  Once this is done, then you can either have new implant replaced or else have a breast lift.  The advantage of having the lift is that your breasts won't sag as much, and your nipples will be moved back up to the center of your breasts.  This would be a much more youthful and perky look.  However, the "anchor" type scar would be necessary to achieve this outcome.  If you don't want the scars, you can have implants replaced after the old ones are removed.  In this scenario, you would regain some or all of the fullness that the implants create.  You would be able to choose how much fullness you want based on the size of the implants we choose.  The advantage to this approach is that it can be done through the same scars that were used to put the implants in, thereby avoiding putting a lot of new scars on your breasts.  The disadvantage is that you would still have the same amount of sagging that you have now.  It just depends on what your goals are.  I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about these options if you want.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Go for the lift after implant removal

Based on the photos, it seems as though your best result will require a lift even if you get new implants so if you have to choose one then do the lift. It is actually more involved when doing removal and capsulectomy so the insurance involvement will not matter. RealSelf has a page of average costs, showing breast lift at about $7800.

Richard Baxter, MD