I can I get the Tummy tuck w/Lipo now or wait until I hit my goal weight 200? (photos)

I am on weight watchers so I know how to eat healthy. I have lost 42 pounds to date. My current weight is 229. I would like to be under 200. 

Best to wait for goal weight

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on the weight loss so far! 

I advise my patients to have their surgery when they are within 5-10 pounds of their ideal weight. This is best for getting a smooth, noticeable result. At this point, this also lowers the chance you may need a revision or secondary procedure. 

Keep up all of your hard work- you can do it!

Tummy Tuck Now or Wait?

Thank you very much for your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Since you had had success with weight loss, I would recommend you continue to lose the weight with what you're doing.  The more weight you lose preoperatively, the better your surgical result will be.

I recommend you consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss potential operative plans, and optimal timing (even if you aren't going to get the operation now, it's good to touch base early and develop a plan).  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Can I get the tummy tuck now or wait.

Almost all will tell you to reach your goal weight before tummy tuck or liposuction for the best results.

Timing of surgery

Congrats on your ongoing weight loss.   I would recommend that you get to your goal weight before proceeding with surgery.  In addition, I typically recommend that patients are weight stable for at least 3 months after surgery before proceeding with body contouring.   This helps predict long term weight loss with out the rebounding that can happen after dieting.   You will be much happier with your results of you can maintain your goal weight for the rest of your life!   Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.  Best of luck.

Jacob Bloom, MD

Should I get a Tummy Tuck before I reach my goal weight?

You ask a great question and one that we as Plastic Surgeons get all the time.  In terms of body contouring surgery after weight loss, it is always best to lose all of your weight prior to any surgery.  In other words, reach your goal weight.  And after that, maintain that weight for at least 3-4 months to make sure you don't have any significant rebound and gain a bunch of weight back.  Significant weight loss or weight gain after body contouring surgery can result in less than perfect results.  

Reaching your goal weight will actually make the surgery easier for your surgeon and will make sure that you have the best possible cosmetic results.  

Any Plastic Surgeon that rushes you into surgery prior to you completing your weight loss would be doing you a disservice.  

Best wishes!

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

First off, congrats on being 42 pounds down! With all my patients I explain that a goal weight should be achieved prior to body contouring surgery. Your safety is a priority. I'd ensure your body mass index is below 35 to minimize risks around the time of your operation. Your surgeon can explain body mass index in more detail. You can do it, so keep on working at it. The payoff will be great when the time is right to operate. A tummy tuck in combination with liposuction would be an appropriate option. 

Tummy Tuck now or wait until I have reached my goal weight?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss to date and lifestyle change!  I recommend that patients are at their target/goal weight or I like to see that their weight loss has stabilized prior to an elective tummy tuck or liposuction procedure.  I find that when patients are closest to or at their goal weight or that their weight loss has stabilized, that they achieve the best cosmetic results, have a significantly lower risk for a post-operative complication and are often the happiest patients.  You are so close to your goal weight and based upon your obvious commitment to weight loss and lifestyle changes as evidenced by your enrollment with weight watchers, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well-experienced with tummy tuck procedures on massive weight loss patients and plan your procedure for after you've reached your goal.  I wish you all the best and I hope you find this helpful.

I can I get the Tummy tuck w/Lipo now or wait until I hit my goal weight 200?

Thank you for your question.  It would be a better idea to reach your goal weight before proceeding with surgeries like a tummy tuck or liposuction.  This will yield a better aesthetic outcome and will reduce your peri-surgical risks.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

I can I get the Tummy tuck w/Lipo now?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Generally speaking, it is best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  Best wishes as you work towards your goals.

Best to achieve ideal body weight before abdominoplasty.

If your target goal is 200 and you can accomplish this with weight loss and I would strongly suggest you do this before the abdominoplasty. This will make the risks lower in the convalescence easier.