How do I check to see if a doctor is Board Certified?

How do I check to see if a plastic surgeon is Board Certified?

Please go on the Internet and surge for the website of the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Once on the website look on the left margin and click on "is my surgeon board-certified."  This website has information on all plastic surgeons who have passed her boards and plastic surgery.

Breast Augmentation - Finding A Surgeon - Board Certified

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your breast augmentation. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures. The ASPS website will provide a list of properly trained surgeons in your area. You should go on several consultations and see who you like best. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. Hope this helps.

Check board certification

Hello and thank you for this great question. It can be confusing. There are several FAKE boards that want you to believe that the doctor is a true plastic surgeon. For $100, I can go online and purchase half a dozen of these fake boards with fancy wooden plaques that I can hang in my office to fool patients into thinking I'm a board certified plastic surgeon. It really is that easy unfortunately. 

The best way to check, is to go to the american board of medical specialties website. It will list the recognized boards of medicine ( plastics, pediatrics, orthopedics, obgyn, cardiothoracic surgery, etc...) You can then do a search for that doctor's name. If he / she is board certified, it will show it. You can also go directly to the american society of plastic surgery website. They will have the same info. 

It takes years of hard work, commitment, ethical principles, continuing education to become a board certified plastic surgeon. It's an achievement that we all take very seriously and get offended when the imposters try to look like they are one of us. 

Anyone advertising as a "board certified cosmetic surgeon" is a fake. There is NO board of cosmetic surgery. They have a website, and it does look official, but it's not real. 

As they say, "caveat emptor" or let the buyer beware. Do your research and know what you are getting into. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Board certified plastic surgeon

You may visit the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) and see if the surgeon's name is listed on there. Best of luck. Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

ABPS board certification

Hello and thank you for your question. This an excellent and extremely important question.  I highly recommend going to the American Board of Plastic Surgery website and check to see if your surgeon is listed there. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question and for doing your research on prospective medical providers.  Below I have attached a link that will let you search for your physician in the American Board of Plastic Surgery website to verify their certification status.  Hope this helps.

Website to check if your plastic surgeon is board-certified.

The American Board of plastic surgery has a website where you can check to see if your particular plastic surgeon is board-certified.

Board Certified

This should be the first thing a prospective patient does when looking for a plastic surgeon.  The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the organization that determines board certification for plastic surgeons.  Obtaining certification requires passing a written exam as well as an oral examination conducted by experts in the field of plastic surgery.  While choosing a surgeon who is board certified cannot provide any guarantees it is a good first step to improving your chances of having a positive and rewarding experience.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the important question; careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. Check the American Board of plastic surgery website for accurate information. Best wishes.

Board Certified Doctor

Great question.  The best place to look for a Board Certified Doctor is on the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)  and see if the surgeon's name is listed on there. 

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon