Who Can Confirm Upper Bleph Muscle/Nerve Damage?

What type of doctor/specialist can confirm muscle and nerve damage after upper blepharoplasty surgery was performed? Are there any customary tests that can be done? Thanks.

Doctor Answers 9

Nerve damage post bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The best would be to go to a neuroopthalmologist to see if there was soem nreve damage.If you had a bleph and are concerned I would wait for all the swelling and edema to go down first.

A Good Examination is the "Test" You Need

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best tests to judge the function of your eye are a through examination of your eye by an qualified doctor.  From the exam, the doctor will be able to tell you the strength of the tone of your lid, its ability to open and close, and most possible concerns after an upper blepharoplasty procedure.  I would see and an oculoplastic, facial plastic, or general plastic surgeon.



Problems following upper eyelid blepharoplasty surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is unlikely that you have any permanent damage to any nerve or muscle from a standard blepharoplasty.  If you are concerned about closing of your eye then you should be evaluated by an plastic surgeon or occuplastic surgeon in your area.  

It is impossible to have upper or lower transcutaneous blepharoplasty without doing some motor nerve damage.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fortunately, this generally is associated with only temporary symptoms in many individuals.  In certain individuals, and especially in existing dry eye, the motor nerve damage can be sufficient to create a permanent problem.  The test you are looking for is actually a detailed consultation and assessment by a cornea specialist or oculoplastic surgeon.  

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Evaluating damage after upper bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very unusual to have any muscle or nerve damage after an upper blepharoplasty.  The best specialist to confirm any damage would be an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon who is well versed in functionally related issues regarding eyelid surgery.

Muscle and Nerve Damage after Upper Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   In a skin only blepharoplasty, you should not have any real damage.  If a significant portion of muscle was taken, this affects eyelid closure.  Most of these instances resolve over time with conservative measures while using adequate eye lubrication.

Nerve damage after a lid lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

is unheard of.  Perhaps you could better described your concerns and its simply related to the results of your surgery, you should discuss it with your surgeon.  Adjacent structures can be damaged during surgery and could leave you lid hanging a bit but you surgeon should help you through this.  Talk to him/her.

Muscle damage/nerve damage is rare

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although permanent muscle/nerve damage is quite unusual after a blepharoplasty, if muscle is removed, the strenghth and /or excursion of your blink may be affected adversely, usually temporarily.

I would advise being patient for a few months to allow the function to return, and use lubricating drops/ointment in the meantime.

Continue followup with your surgeon, and if things don't improve, then a second opinion from an Oculoplastic surgeon would be a good idea, as they can not only evaluate your eyelids, but your ocular surface as well.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Muscle or nerve damage after upper eyelid surgery is rare

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question.

Permanent damage to the muscle of the upper eyelid (orbicularis oculi) is extremely rare since the surgery usually inolves cutting away only excessive skin and sculpting of the fat bags behind the upper eyelid.  However, if you are concerned I would recommend first being evaluated by the doctor who performed your surgery and then considering the opinion of a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon. Best of luck,

Sachin Parikh, MD 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.