Could this be a Stitch Abscess or something else? I'm 20 days post op; mastopexy, 300cc silicone implants. (photos)

Almost no bruises on breast until day 13, daily pics revealed it grew worse; light bloody discharge at areola incision & discomfort. Day 15, some sutures out, new steristrips, Rx for Bactrim DS. Day 18 it was worse, bruising was gone, wound was worse. PA said to come in but I live 200 miles away; they told me to clean w/ saline, remove strips, continue Rx, apply Bacatricin, & to keep apt on Fri. No signs of improvement. Why was I given sulfa drug? What is the best thing to do for speedy healing?

Could this be a Stitch Abscess or something else? I'm 20 days post op; mastopexy, 300cc silicone implants

This is a surgical wound dehiscence. You MUST be seen in person... I would drive to see my surgeon for care...

Wound healing

It looks like you have some delayed wound healing, and you need to follow wound care instructions from your surgeon. Good luck.

Wound breakdown

Thank you for your pictures. You have one break down around your areola. You need to have local wound care to promote healing. Your plastic surgeon can describe this to you over the phone since you live quite a ways away. You need to allow this to heal. The scar will be wider and you may need a scar revision in the future.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

It appears that the skin edges were starting to separate on the earliest posted photo (day 15) and this has progressed. Seeing your surgeon is essential. Choice of antibiotics is sensible, though cultures might have been useful.

All the best 

Skin loss around areola after breast lift

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photograph there is skin loss in the periareolar area.

This needs to be properly managed and you need wound care management advice.

I strongly urge you to make the trip back to see your plastic surgeon.  Proper wound care instructions could reduce the time that it will take you to heal and ultimately improve your result.

Traveling 200 miles to improve your result is just as important as traveling 200 miles to have the initial surgery.