I'm 3+ wks PO (TT and BR) and still draining from TT and under left breast. When moved, my breast gurgles! Am I not healing?

Apparently I was too active (getting up, bending, twisting) in the first 2 wks and have seromas. Surgeon removed my final drain from my TT incision last week and inserted a penrose drain. Output still seems high. There's some kind of open pocket in my left breast, which was a seroma last week but suddenly drained through the breast reduction incision. It seeps a little but seemed to be healing until today. The little hole in the incision has lost its scab and expells fluid.

Post op drainage

Thank you for the question. While one cannot be sure without an in-person examination, it would sound as though you have draining seromas from the abdomen and the left breast. A seroma is a collection of fluid, serum not blood, that collects under your skin after a surgical procedure. Drain tubes are placed and typically are effective in preventing the formation of a seroma. However, sometimes a week or two after the surgery or removal of the drains you may notice increasing swelling at the operative site. Small seromas do not always require treatment, as they may be reabsorbed by the body within a few weeks. Larger seromas may require transcutaneous aspiration and if persistent, the physician may suggest that the seroma cavity be removed and a drain reinserted. I would suggest to wear your compression garment and continue in close follow up with your plastic surgeon as they are in the best position to evaluate and treat you in the post operative period. Best of luck.

Post op drainage

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Seroma and wound dehiscence

Sorry to hear that you are having problem with healing.

From your description, you need to be seen by your plastic surgeon.  Seroma in your breasts and abdomen may require compression or aspiration.  Continue to follow up with him/her closely.

Seroma and wound dehiscence

Drainage after surgery pf breast and abdomen

Regardless of cause you do have some seromas of breast and abdomen.   While most seromas drain and simply go away, some do not and a suction drain may need to be inserted.  Work closely with your doctor and follow guidelines carefully.n   My Best,  Dr C

Healing

I am slightly confused as to the question. It sounds as if you've had seromas in the abdomen and left breast but they are being treated by your surgeon -- correct? My only advise would be to see your surgeon and follow his or her wound care advice in order to insure proper healing. Sorry that you are experiencing this. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Healing