True Gynecomastia (glandular) or just pseudo (fat only)? (Photo)

I recently lost 17lbs, & wondering if I can get to under 20% body fat, if my chest would look less female like... I'm currently around 40% body fat 33BMI @ 202lbs 5'6", I want a have a muscular body builder torso.. Have had moobs since junior high. I'm trying to first see how they look once I get lean.. Hoping surgery wouldn't even be required, but willing to do whatever.

Gynecomastia vs Pseudogynecomastia

Hi adrian97c,
Thanks for the post and the photos. Congratulations on losing the weight! If your target weight is a reasonable goal that you can maintain then I recommend losing the weight and seeing how it affects your chest. If there is excess fatty tissue there will be some decrease in the fullness of your chest when you lose weight. It is difficult to assess whether you have excess breast tissue without a physical examination however.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

True Gynecomastia (glandular) or just pseudo (fat only)?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss! You are wise in planning on achieving your long-term stable weight prior to considering surgical intervention.
Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

What kind of gynecomastia do I have?

That is a very difficult question. As a matter fact it is impossible to tell from photos. You need to have a physical exam that will differentiate glandular from chat. However from your photos it does appear that you have a large fatty component and may have some glandular as for your desired goals, of course it is possible to bring down to 20% and even less. Bodybuilders generally have a body fat percentage of 10% or less which gives them the shredded look. So you have a long but not impossible wait to go once you are around 20%, evaluation at that time would be best. Most likely liposuction of the chest  armpit area and a high definition liposculpture of your abdomen would give you what you are looking for.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

If you have mainly fat, then this might possibly improve with liposuction. If you diet they might get smaller as well.

It is impossible to answer your question based on photographs alone, however, there is certainly a component of pseudo gynecomastia.  Contouring of the lateral chest wall with lipoplasty or non invasively will certainly give you a significant improvement and psychological head start with their plan.
Hope this helps.

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Good plan

Your plan is sound. Get your weight down and then re-evaluate. Don't do any sort of aggressive diet. At your age you can probably achieve what you want by removing unhealthy food items from your diet, and don't be in too much of a hurry.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

True Gynecomastia (glandular) or just pseudo (fat only)

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Hi there,
Does not make a big difference!
best procedure for correction is liposuction and gland excision
Best of luck