I'm thinking of neck lift and lower face lift. What are the exact procedures? (Photo)

What are the exact procedures for lower lift and neck lift? How long to recover? Can it be done with local anesthesia?

Thinking of neck lift and lower face lift. What are the exact procedures?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. From the smiling photos provided, I suspect that your cheeks your are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front and below the cheeks and jowls are present.  These factors combine to create an elongated, rectangularly shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess fat to further shape the cheeks and lower face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

A lower face/neck lift with platysmaplasty under local is great with only 1-2 week downtime

A lower face/neck lift  with a under chin platysmaplasty under local anesthesia with a little iv sedation for comfort is easy to undergo and makes such a dramatic improvement with only 1-2 weeks downtime.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

What can be done to improve the lower face and the neck?

You have a beautiful smile, but it is impossible to evaluate a picture showing a smily face. The extent of procedures done to improve the jowls and the neck depends on the degree of laxity. I do 95% of my facelifts under local anesthesia with mild sedation with no need for an anesthesiologist. In mild cases the incision is limited to the front of the ears following the countours of the ear cartilages so that the scar is not visible. In more severe cases the incisions may go behind the ears an another small incisions is made under the chin to tighten the muscle and contour the angle between the chin and the neck. A careful inpersone evaluation I necessary to give the most accurate answer. 

Necklift and lower facelift

To improve neck contour, there are several procedures involved.  For excess fat, liposuction helps remove the excess tissue.  With aging, skin and the SMAS muscle sag causing jowls.   Facelifts tighten and reposition the muscle improving the jawline and correcting the jowls.  The excess skin is re-draped and appropriately removed.  Anesthesia options include general, local and sedation. 

I'm thinking of lower face and neck lift. What are the exact procedures?

In our practice, we perform a high- SMAS face lift which accomplishes tightening loose  facial and neck muscles, tightening loose facial and neck skin, lifting the jowls, and removing fatty deposits in the neck. A platysma- plasty is also performed in the neck.   For many  before and after facelift examples, please see the link and the video below

Neck lift with SMAS, Turkey Neck eliminator

It looks like you would benefit from a facelift with SMAS. The face lift or Z lift will address your jowls and the neck lift will fix the loose skin of your neck. Who needs a turkey neck? I do the majority of my neck lift and facelifts with local anesthesia and conscious sedation. General anesthesia is usually not needed. See a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon in consultation. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Facelift question

There are so many different ways that one's face and neck can be improved depending on exactly what they need and desire. Recovery will depend on the extensiveness of the procedures. Some of these can be accomplished with local anesthesia. Schedule and in person consultation.

Face and neck lift recovery

Great question! To be honest, every person is different, and therefore, the procedure is catered to them.  Some patients just need a "minilift", others need a "modified neck lift", etc.  The truth of the matter is, most of the procedures involve lifting and tightening the muscle layer under the skin - this is what gives a long lasting, natural look.  The last thing you want is to be "overdone" - it really is more about being refreshed and looking the way you feel inside.  The best way to determine what you may be a candidate for is with an in person consultation, and this is something that people will tell you over and over.  As far as anesthesia is concerned, I generally like to do my facelifts under twilight anesthesia, that way there is no breathing tube, you are breathing on your own, you don't feel or remember anything.  Similar to a colonoscopy.  That being said, I also have plenty of patients that prefer to do their lift under local anesthesia.  It's not a problem to do, and normally we give the patient something to relax during the numbing part (which is the most nerve inducing).  I hope some of this helps! Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  If you are an appropriate candidate and if good technique is used, a mini facelift and a necklift can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon