Spreader grafts? Any suggestions?

Sorry but, I very much dislike the look. They make the nose wide&rectangular. Very unnatural to me. It's another thing I see girls crying about after surgery. They can't quite figure out why they look so different .10 months later they're still posting waiting on bridge swelling to go down.If I don't have breathing issues,can I say no to them?I feel like they change the way the eyes pop & I don't mind the slight indents in the middle third of my nose. I feel like that part of my noses character.

Spreader grafts

I use spreader grafts of customized thickness maybe 50% of the time, typically for asymmetric / deviated noses. You are correct that blindly placed spreaders in all cases without concern for the mid-vault volume is definitely a mistake. Lack of attention to mid-vault however can cause post-operative internal valve collapse or inverted V deformity, especially with dorsal hump reduction.

Spreader grafts

If spreader grafts are used in cases that do not need them, they will be prolonged swelling and maybe suboptimal aesthetic outcome.  In some cases Batten grafts can be used with better cosmetic result with reconstruction of the middle third of the nose.
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts

Spreader grafts are certainly not required in all rhinoplasties.When used, their thickness should be such that the upper bony vault flows seamlessly to the cartilaginous vault, restoring the internal valve.There have been cases where the spreader grafts were too wide. That would be a technical error.Grafts come in various thickness or, even multiple grafts can be used in extreme cases.There is no real need to make a graft wide and visibly distorting.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Spreader grafts should be used only when indicated for breathing improvement or helping to straighten the nose.  Otherwise, they do not need to be placed.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Spreader grafts

Not all patients require spreader grafts. I usually reserve them for those with middle vault collapse and breathing issues, and those with septal curvatures that need support or camouflage.

Spreader graft

Thank you for your question. I would recommend scheduling a couple consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty. There are other options out there other than spreader grafts, it is really up to the surgeons preference and what he thinks you need. Discuss during the consultations that you do not wish to use spreader grafts and find a skilled surgeon who is willing to work with you and come up with a safe option that will give you the results you desire. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Spreader graft

If you do not think he liked the appearance of spreader graft, he can always refused to have them.  The problem is that if you need them and you do not have them, he might not only have breathing problems, but you also may have less than straight dorsal lines.  This is a specific subject the need to speak about with your surgeon before your surgery.

Spreader grafts? Any suggestions?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon