Is it better to keep shaving in between laser hair removal treatments, or let the hair fall out by itself?

I am having Men's Brazilian laser hair removal. I am having my sixth laser hair removal treatment in January 2017. Is it better to keep the area shaven, or let the hair grow and fall out by itself?

Shaving between laser sessions

Shaving is perfectly fine in between laser sessions for any area, but not waxing, plucking or threading. Shaving is also recommended before the session itself if there are any long hairs.

Edison Physician

It's Ok to Shave Between Treatments

Thanks for your question.  First, you should be asking your provider their recommendations.  Generally, it is ok/recommended to shave between laser hair removal treatments.  Lasers follow the hair shaft down into the follicle, heats it and thus prevents it from generating another hair.  Shaving only removes the hair at the surface, thus leaving a path for the laser to follow.  Do not wax between laser treatments.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician